Vice President, DevOps
- Tysons, VA
Leading Products – Innovative Ideas – Exceptional People ….MicroStrategy, A Dynamic Place to Work!
At MicroStrategy, we are passionate about creating powerful, disruptive technologies that transform how companies do business. Innovative products and ultimately our success are rooted in one driving force—our people. Our casual and flexible environment encourages creativity and collaboration, so you’ll have the opportunity to initiate and contribute to challenging projects, while pursuing your interests and developing, both professionally and personally. Bring us your passion, curiosity, and fresh ideas, and be a part of technology innovation at its best!
We are looking for a hands-on DevOps leader who will ensure that the Technology organization effectively adopts and utilizes state-of-art technology to achieve best practices in Continuous Integration (CI), Test Driven Development (TDD), and Continuous Deployment. The DevOps leader will be responsible for delivering full automation of test, builds, from the unit level to end-to-end across on-prem and cloud offerings. The measure of success will be the ongoing efficiency gains and product improvements that result. The Director will provide strategic leadership while being hands on to get the job done with the MicroStrategy DevOps team, ensuring tight coordination across key Technology stakeholders as the company advances its transformation to agile methodologies and best practices. The Director must have a thorough understanding of the company's business operations as well as a broad knowledge of the latest DevOps technologies, including but not limited to Git/GitHub; Maven; Jenkins; Rally.
The Director will lead a team of DevOps engineers in HQ, and development office in Hangzhou, China. The Director will be responsible for architecting the build out of CI/TDD/Continuous Deployment for MicroStrategy, working with key stakeholders across technology to ensure rapid and effective adoption of best practices. The Director will define a clear and compelling roadmap for DevOps at MicroStrategy; define the resulting value proposition (through increased efficiency and product quality and quicker turns), and drive the execution of the roadmap so that each agile Iteration has clear objectives that are achieved with the broader roadmap goals as the driving force. This position will require working with senior leaders across product owners, software engineering, quality engineering as well as engaging with key customers on occasion. This is an amazing opportunity for a strategic innovator and leader with a strong passion for the impact that DevOps will have on the business. The right person will have an intense desire to oversee the adoption of a new approach to product development across the company.
Day to day:
- Drive the company’s effort for achieving CI, TDD, Continuous Deployment
- Create and drive the execution of the roadmap to rapidly migrate the company to best practice CI/TDD with full automation.
- Automate the build processes for the company, ensuring builds at the team level can be achieved in less than ten minutes.
- Ensure builds are self-testing at the unit level so that all tests confirm that the code behaves as the team expect it should before it is committed to the main branch
- Drive the process such that every team commits to the baseline every day, minimizing conflicting changes and the resulting defects that result.
- Ensure the latest technologies are leveraged for TDD; with full automation for the unit tests through integration test through end-to-end testing
- Ensure full integration of CI/TDD systems with Rally to ensure everyone can see the results and respond accordingly
- Continuous deployment: automate deployment directly into production such that on any given day a production ready product can be deployed and done so in an automated fashion.
- Select, coordinate, develop, and maintain relationships with vendors
- Own responsibility for the commercial justification of adopting new technology through clearly defined value propositions that are measurable
- Research the latest in DevOps, ensuring best practices are continuously brought into the company for continuous improvement.
- Experience in DevOps, with proven track record of leading a team to transform the efforts of an engineering organization
- Experience in an agile environment, and running agile through a modern platform: ideally Rally or another similar agile system of record like Jira, Version One
- Experience including, but not limited to, using the following tools/frameworks
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant management/supervisory experience, managing teams of DevOps/software engineering professionals
- Exceptional management skills managing a team of 10+
- Strong communication skills
- Creative and strategic thinking to develop innovative solutions to problems
- Ability to interact effectively with product and development teams at all levels
- Engaging presentation style with solid oral, written, and visual communication skills
- Ability to self-manage projects
- Experience coaching and mentoring others
- Good understanding of the company's overall business operations and products
- Demonstrated ability of successfully leading complex Development operations
- Ability to successfully implement and control business plans
- Ability to travel to China
MicroStrategy is an equal employment and affirmative action employer F/M/Disability/Vet.
MicroStrategy is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and provides reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in job application procedures. If you have any difficulty using our online system and you need an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us about your interest in employment at 703.848.8600.