Cost Controls Specialist - Renewable Construction
- Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand
Meridian is the largest producer of renewable electricity in Aotearoa and we strive to deliver clean energy for a fairer and healthier world. We only generate electricity from 100% renewable resources – wind, water and sun, because we believe that’s the best way forward for our planet and our communities. And, we’re doing what we can to help Aotearoa reduce their carbon emissions and support others in our generation communities to do the same. We also retail electricity to more than 365,000 homes, businesses and farms across New Zealand through our Meridian and Powershop brands.
What you’ll be doing
We are on the lookout for a highly skilled and experienced Cost Controls Specialist, to be part of the newly formed Renewable Construction Team within the Development Business Unit.
This team is responsible for building new assets to meet Meridian’s strategic goal of playing our part in decarbonising NZ. The team is responsible for detailed design, contract tendering, negotiations and award of key contracts, site construction works, commissioning, and handover to Generation.
Your role will be critical to the success of every project by providing detailed financial analysis to the Programme and Cost Controls Manager.
Other accountabilities include providing guidance in project profitability, tracking of spend vs budget, revenue recognition, and variation requirements. You will also take ownership of monthly financial forecasting and accruals, support the Meridian Energy Finance team in managing FX requirements, and prepare and analyse financial reports and dashboards.
Wellington location is preferred, however we will consider Christchurch for the right person.
What you’ll bring
- Previous experience in financial roles, and formal qualifications in accounting and/or project management would be an advantage.
- A firm understanding of the budgeting, accruals and forecasting process is a must.
- Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office suite, knowledge of project management software would also be beneficial.
- Sound administrative skills including attention to detail, written and oral communication.
- Strong self-organisational and process skills, comfortable with multiple tasks, and outcome focused.
At Meridian, we value all people. We embrace different ways of thinking, living and working, because we believe diversity benefits us all. It makes our capabilities even stronger. We encourage all our people to feel comfortable bringing their whole selves to work and we’re proud to have a diverse and inclusive workplace. So, no matter who you are, you’ll find it a great place to work.
We value and live by three ‘How to Be’s’: ‘be gutsy’, working together by ‘being in the waka’ and doing the right thing by ‘being a good human’. We work hard and value the importance of connection and fun, whether this be through daily quizzes, morning teas, birthday and cultural celebrations both in person and virtually!
Sustainability sits firmly in our DNA both socially and environmentally. We proudly support KidsCan and the Kākāpō Recovery and work side-by-side with our generation communities to empower and support projects where needed. There are many opportunities to volunteer to any of our partnerships throughout the year.
What we can offer you!
We value work/life balance so our WFH and flexible work options (where possible) make things easier for you and your whānau. We also offer:
- an attractive and competitive salary package that’s reviewed annually, performance-incentive plus discounts from a number of partnerships
- enhanced leave provisions: three company paid days (over the holiday period), enhanced parental leave and options to buy up to 12 days additional leave
- life, trauma and income protection insurance (which we hope you won’t need!)
- enhanced KiwiSaver contributions
- access to the Meridian employee share scheme
- excellent learning and development opportunities, we want you to be the best version of yourself and will help you get there!
- award winning wellbeing programme that provides support whenever and wherever you need it
- employee discounts off your power with Meridian, every bit counts
- a one-off $400 payment to support your work from home set-up (if needed)
All in all, we’re an awesome place to work. If this sounds like you and you want to bring your energy and use your power to make a difference (pun intended), then apply today and tell us why!
If you’ve any questions, or would like the full Position Description, please email [email protected] and one of our team will get back to you. We're committed to becoming more accessible and providing support if needed, please get in touch via email or phone if there are any parts of our process you would like assistance with (process found here meridianenergy.co.nz/careers), we’re more than happy to help.
Advertising closes on 27th November 2022 (please note this is subject to change)