- 1227 25th St NW, Washington, DC 20037, USA
McKinley Advisors, a leading association consulting firm, is organized around developing and delivering practical, proven solutions that enable mission-driven organizations to maximize member value and their impact on society.
We are searching for a Director of Consulting to strengthen McKinley’s consulting practice by contributing to senior-level leadership in account management and project delivery. In collaboration with other firm leaders, the Director of Consulting will contribute to firm-wide initiatives including sales strategy, service line development, talent strategy, industry relations, and thought leadership efforts.
This Director of Consulting role will be focused on leading the transformation and growth of McKinley’s marketing practice, working collaboratively with marketing colleagues and firm leadership to develop a more sustainable and profitable business model that delivers high value to clients.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Account Leadership (50%)
- Leads large, complex, team-based consulting and marketing projects and determines overall research direction for client engagement, successfully communicating with the research team on desires and needs.
- Masterfully aligns project findings with relevant and effective solutions.
- Creates new approaches and applies expertise across industries and disciplines.
- Provides independent leadership, guidance and oversight for team members and clients; demonstrates the ability to intervene on project steps and timelines and course correct as necessary.
- Leads the hiring and development of team members and is able to maximize team performance, excel at coaching staff, set clear expectations, adapt to changing conditions, and correct performance or personnel issues.
- Successfully navigates high-pressure situations including projects of a sensitive nature, contracting disagreements, work product issues.
- Maintains the highest level of commitment to the firm’s strategic priorities.
- Serves as a valued expert and partner by clients and colleagues.
- Serves as a formal mentor and seeks out opportunities to informally support staff across the team.
Portfolio Leadership (30%)
- Acts as a champion of the firm's strategic priorities and nurturing new services lines in response to real-time trends in the association market.
- Serves as chair for the service excellence team(s), providing coordination and guidance to the team in a collaborative approach to managing clients, workload, and launch of new projects, as well as developing innovative techniques to add value to our client work.
Business Development (20%)
- Focuses on nurturing relationships with existing clients.
- Gathers prospecting information about existing client's needs and matches them with McKinley’s service lines and sales priorities.
- Actively cultivates "pathways" for key accounts qualifying across McKinley's business lines, increasing repeat business with those clients.
- Sources and develops prospective clients, including networking at industry events, speaking and online connections.
- Strategic thinking at the highest level to design and implement firm initiatives and client engagements
- Executive level communication skills and judgement including active listening, public speaking and facilitation
- Ability to navigate large-scale initiatives with McKinley team and clients
- Advanced critical thinking skills, the ability to challenge assumptions and independently produce solutions and recommendations
- Strong emotional intelligence and embodiment of McKinley's core values
- Skill in navigating high-pressure situations with executive level clients
- The highest standards of client service, and accountability for quality assurance in deliverables
- Effectiveness in leading teams (with both direct and indirect reports), providing frequent, clear and actionable feedback to team members
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Demonstrated success as a persuasive facilitator and presenter to executive level and board level groups
- Deep experience developing and guiding digital and traditional marketing strategies and supporting campaigns
- Proven ability in establishing and maintaining relationships with association market influencers and potential strategic partners, with a particular focus on the association marketing community
- At least two years’ experience managing teams of talented, high performing individuals, delivering on projects in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines
- Senior-level association management or equivalent non-profit consulting experience, including at least 7- 10 years of success as a leader within an association or a firm providing consulting services
- Track record of business development success, including development and implementation of comprehensive marketing strategies and plans to accelerate association or firm growth
- Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, communications; Master’s preferred – or similar experience
Employee Value and Compensation
- Starting pay of $115,000 per annum, salary commensurate with experience.
- McKinley Advisors provides an excellent and comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, 401k match, ancillary benefits, professional development opportunities, and generous paid time off benefits.
- McKinley Advisors prides itself on being a highly collaborative and engaged workplace; we believe our people are our greatest assets and are always seeking ways to strengthen our work environment and culture.
- McKinley Advisors is a fast-paced, high-energy firm with a highly motivated staff. This job will experience high work demands under tight timelines requiring a flexible and adaptable approach to daily priorities. This position is primarily sedentary and there will be long periods in front of the computer, possibly standing or sitting for long periods.
- During the pandemic work is conducted remotely, but the expectation will be that once it is safe, this position will come to the Washington DC office on a regular basis.
- Full-time, 100% FTE, Exempt
- Please submit a resume and cover letter.
Building a Stronger Us
We are committed to building a work environment that doesn’t just welcome diversity, equity, and inclusion, but celebrates it.
At McKinley our most important value is being human. We put people above everything else and celebrate and support the individuality of our staff.
McKinley provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
All applicants must be authorized to work in the U.S.