External Communications Manager, Integrated Campaigns (Contract)
- 1 McDonalds Pl, North York, ON M3C 3L4, Canada
- McDonald's Office Location: Toronto, Ontario
- Global Grade: G3
At McDonald's, we are committed to being the best, and that starts with finding the best people. We have built a team of extraordinary people from around the world. We are problem solvers, risk takers, innovators, and thought leaders that take our work seriously, but have fun doing it. We challenge ourselves to get smarter and sharper every day, we value personal and professional growth, and believe in rewarding and celebrating our successes.
The Corporate Relations Department is hiring an External Communications Manager, Integrated Campaigns, covering a maternity leave. The role reports to the Senior Manager of External Communications who is based in Toronto.
Corporate Relations provides support to all internal and external stakeholders to protect and further the McDonald’s brand in Canada. The function’s mandate make McDonald’s one of the most respected, trusted, and admired brands in the world. Every day the team works to strengthen and protect the company’s reputation and license to operate and help build brand awareness – all to drive trust, affinity, and responsible business growth. In addition to proactively looking for opportunities to tell compelling and important stories to various external audiences and stakeholder groups, the Corporate Relations team also works to mitigate external issues.
Who You Are
You are a storyteller and love the food industry. You have the ability to build strong relationships and work collaboratively in a team environment with both internal and external parties. You are a change agent, with strong communication skills who can effectively support our system in a fast paced and agile environment. You are a protector of the Brand.
In addition to following McDonald’s policies and procedures, principle accountabilities include, but are not limited to:
· Working closely across all Corporate Relations functions to manage, develop, implement and measure all integrated national campaigns supporting our four key pillars to feed and foster community
· Build, manage and motivate a portfolio of agile resources to deliver against strategic goals related to the four key pillars to feed and foster community
· Find new and influential ways for the Corporate Relations Team to advance the brand’s reputation and drive trust in Canada.
· Create fully integrated Corporate Relations campaigns that support our corporate narrative and brand initiatives to build reputation, credibility, trust, thought-leadership and authority
· Own our key messages and overarching tone and voice for communications across all external channels (paid, earned, owned, shared)
· Nurture and develop relationships with key media outlets to further promote our purpose to “feed and foster communities” targeted at a variety of stakeholders, including the general public, advocacy groups, shareholders and investors
· Manage and respond to McDonald’s Canada media requests (national), acting as media spokesperson, as needed. Train spokespeople as required.
· Support development of communications material for various McDonald’s external marketing and trust-focused initiatives.
· Proactively identify media and public relations opportunities, including developing content ideas to target external audiences.
· Work cross-functionally with other departments to bring McDonald’s campaigns/priorities to life; champion the development of locally relevant plans
· Work with Consumer and Business Insights to design and implement standard processes to measure the effectiveness of campaigns and track these metrics for ongoing reporting.
· Manage, monitor and provide proactive assessments to the business on potential risks, insights and opportunities for the brand.
· Partner with third-party suppliers to manage broader interests or issues affecting the business.
· Foster and develop strong strategic relationships with external stakeholders and with McDonald’s franchisees in support of key business initiatives
· Partner with and manage agency resources and budget for ongoing support and to achieve program goals
· McDonald’s brand fan
· Bilingualism in French is an asset.
· Superior written and verbal communication skills combined with an in-depth understanding of external communications principles and practices
· Bachelor’s degree and/or an equivalent combination of related education and experience in communications related field
· 5-7 years communications experience with a focus on external communications Expertise in crafting communication materials into relevant, timely and engaging story narratives.
· Experience with modern methods for measuring communications impact
· Journalistic instincts and skills in uncovering and developing stories
· Deep understanding of the evolving media landscape and today’s reality, including a superior understanding about how social media, digital platforms and changes to the traditional business model impact media coverage.
· Well-organized, demonstrated project management skills; able to set and work to tight deadlines
· Comfortable supporting and counseling senior staff
· Familiarity with working with agency (or similar) partners
· Ability to travel within Canada, when required (approx. <15%)
McDonald’s Canada and Owner/Operators are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace for all. Our workplaces have a long-standing policy of providing fair, equitable, and accessible opportunities for all employees and prospective employees. Accommodations during the application process are available upon request.