Supervisor, Global Communications Strategy and Campaigns
- 110 N Carpenter St, Chicago, IL 60607, USA
- McDonald's Office Location: MHQ
McDonald’s is proud to be one of the most recognized brands in the world, with restaurants in over 100 countries and billions of customers served each year. As the global leader in the food service industry, we have a legacy of innovation and hard work that continues to drive us. Today, we are growing with velocity and are focused on modernizing our experiences, not to make a different McDonald’s, but to build a better McDonald’s.
We are moving fast and are adding to our best-in-class team. Joining McDonald's means thinking big every day and preparing for a career that can have impact around the world. We are customer obsessed, committed to being leaders, and believe we are better when we work together. Over the last couple years, we’ve launched home delivery, modernized our restaurant experience through digital enhancements and have so much more to come.
We are dedicated to using our scale for good: good for people, our industry and the planet. From ambitious recycling initiatives and balanced sourcing efforts to our partnership with Ronald McDonald House Charities, we are constantly improving. We see every single day as a chance to have a genuine impact on our customers, our people and our partners.
McDonald’s seeks a Supervisor, Strategy and Campaigns focused on People for its Global Communications team. The position will support integrated communications campaigns across paid, earned, and owned media and stakeholder audiences to proactively and reactively address issues impacting the reputation of the business and will be responsible for accomplishing associated measurable objectives. The Supervisor will also support the development and execution of three-year reputation strategies and tactical plans relating to employer reputation, ensuring that people policies and reputational objectives support corporate business goals. In addition, they will contribute to message development, external communications strategy, issues management and thought leadership, among other work contributing to the overall strategy and execution of programs.
In this role, the supervisor will act as an ambassador for the brand and is responsible for maintaining positive working relations between the company and global non-governmental organizations, professional associations, and academic institutions. This role will also be responsible for partner engagement, message development, issue management, influencer engagement, policy communications and thought leadership. This role requires a growing knowledge of integrated communications strategy to ensure that policy and reputational objectives align.
This opportunity is based in Chicago, IL and report directly to the Director, Global Communications Strategy and Campaigns. This position will be a member of the broader Global Communications team, led by Vice President, Global Communications Michael Gonda. Some travel required – domestic and international.
In this role, you will:
- Measurably drive brand trust with global and US consumers and opinion influencers, specifically as it relates to people and employer reputation.
- Develop the strategy and lead the execution of 360-degree communications campaigns, convening cross-functional teams, to deliver cohesive media strategies inclusive of partner engagement.
- Build trust with partners who influence issues and policy outcomes. This includes working formally and informally with external SMEs, representing McDonald’s at relevant meetings and preparing executives to represent the brand, and driving proactive outreach to convey McDonald’s progress and build third-party engagement and support.
- Support and provide significant input into global cross-functional teams relating to McDonald’s policies and reputation.
- Build tools and executing tactics to assist in managing ongoing issues, including developing briefing notes, position statements, and participating in the development of relevant reports and communications materials.
- Acting as the “go-to” person when related issues arise, working in partnership with cross-functional SMEs and corporate relations partners.
- Revelant experience in strategic communications and partner engagement (in corporate, agency or relevant NGO/association environments).
- Experience building communications strategies for consumer and stakeholder audiences and the relevant use of earned, owned, and paid media to influence the desired outcome.
- Demonstrated knowledge or experience in one or more of the following policy areas: labor relations, human rights, education and workforce development, gender diversity and inclusion required.
- An understanding of US, EU, global and intergovernmental organizations, regulatory and policy-making bodies.
- Experience in providing strategic counsel to senior business executives particularly with regards to brand reputation, issues management, partner engagement, message strategy development, media strategy, planning and execution.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills, including an ability to convey complex issues in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences.
- An undergraduate degree, with a law or other relevant graduate degree desired.
- Political or PR agency strongly preferred
- Possesses a sophisticated understanding of how the global policy arena works
- Solid understanding of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
Strengths and Skills:
We seek someone with a strong work ethic who is a self-starter, shows passion, energy and enthusiasm for the journey ahead at McDonald’s. The ideal candidate will possess the following skills and core proficiencies:
- Intellectual Curiosity & Problem-Solving – comfortable with concepts and complexity; able to think independently and make sound, reasoned judgments and solve problems within a large organization.
- Accountability and Motivation – self-starter with strong sense of initiative, passionate about results; ability to manage multiple, simultaneous projects within ambiguous and undefined circumstances.
- Communication – can credibly adopt a broad range of communication styles; sensitive to specific audiences in tone as well as content.
- Global mentality - working within and contributing to a globally understood picture of priorities and keeping global audiences and impacts for both business and external environment front of mind.
- Understands the business and the strategic role of communications and public affairs in assessing and analyzing challenges and opportunities.
- Builds and sustains relationships and can call upon those networks to accomplish objectives.
- Strong influencing skills in an external context; plus strong influencing and change management skills to effectively manage internally in a complex environment.
- A strong team-minded approach with ability to lead teams and effectively manage projects; ability to work assertively and collaboratively with management and colleagues at all levels of a decentralized organization.
- Comfortable working in a fast paced environment; strong work ethic and personal integrity; calm under pressure.
McDonald’s is committed to providing qualified individuals with disabilities reasonable accommodations to perform the essential functions of their jobs. Additionally, if you (or another applicant of whom you are aware) require assistance accessing or reading this job posting or otherwise seek assistance in the application process, please contact [email protected]
McDonald’s provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to sex, sex stereotyping, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), race, color, religion, ancestry or national origin, age, disability status, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, protected military or veteran status, citizenship status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this job posting or description should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.