Manager, Global Communications, Strategy and Campaigns (Food)
- 110 N Carpenter St, Chicago, IL 60607, USA
- McDonald's Office Location: MHQ
McDonald’s is proud to be one of the most recognized brands in the world, with restaurants in over 100 countries and billions of customers served each year. As the global leader in the food service industry, we have a legacy of innovation and hard work that continues to drive us. Today, we are growing with velocity and are focused on modernizing our experiences, not to make a different McDonald’s, but to build a better McDonald’s.
We are moving fast and are adding to our best-in-class team. Joining McDonald's means thinking big every day and preparing for a career that can have impact around the world. We are customer obsessed, committed to being leaders, and believe we are better when we work together. Over the last couple years, we’ve launched home delivery, modernized our restaurant experience through digital enhancements and have so much more to come.
We are dedicated to using our scale for good: good for people, our industry and the planet. From ambitious recycling initiatives and balanced sourcing efforts to our partnership with Ronald McDonald House Charities, we are constantly improving. We see every single day as a chance to have a genuine impact on our customers, our people and our partners.
We are looking for a Manager for the Strategy and Campaigns team with a focus on food. The position will lead integrated communications campaigns across paid, earned, and owned media targeted to consumer and partner audiences. The goal of these campaigns will be to proactively and reactively address issues impacting the reputation of the business and the Manager will be responsible for accomplishing associated measurable objectives. The Manager will also support the development and execution of three-year reputation strategies and tactical plans relating to food quality, ensuring that food policy and reputational objectives support corporate business goals. This role will be responsible for message development, issues management and thought leadership, among other work contributing to the overall strategy and execution of programs.
The Manager will be responsible for building relationships across the business with subject matter experts to lead and support cross-functional workstreams focused on influencing, developing and executing McDonald’s commitments. Externally, this position will act as an ambassador for the brand and is responsible for developing and maintaining positive working relations between the company and relevant global and US non-governmental organizations, professional associations, academic institutions, think tanks and advocacy organizations in order to inform and influence public policy as well as McDonald’s own corporate policies.
In this role, you will:
- Measurably drive brand trust with global and US consumers and opinion influencers, specifically as it relates to food.
- Develop the strategy and lead the execution of 360-degree communications campaigns, convening cross-functional teams, to deliver cohesive earned, owned, and paid media strategies inclusive of partner engagement.
- Build brand trust with partners who influence issues and policy outcomes. This includes working formally and informally with external subject matter experts, representing McDonald’s at relevant meetings, preparing executives to represent the brand, and driving proactive outreach to convey McDonald’s progress and build third-party engagement and support.
- Lead and provide significant input into global and US cross-functional teams relating to McDonald’s policies and reputation.
- Provide input into strategic business decision making, through strong relationships with Corporate Relations team and other functions, including but not limited to: Global Supply Chain & Sustainability, US and Global Family Marketing, Menu and Innovation, and Legal as well as our suppliers and franchisees.
- Act as the “go-to” person when related issues arise, working in partnership with cross-functional Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) and corporate relations partners.
- An undergraduate degree required, a law or other relevant graduate degree is preferred
- Experience in strategic consumer communications and stakeholder engagement (possibly in corporate, agency or relevant NGO/association environments) with demonstrated knowledge or experience in food policy
- Background leading integrated communications strategies including earned, owned, and paid media
- Experience providing strategic counsel to senior business executives, as well and developing and sustaining strong relationships
- A sophisticated understanding of US, EU, global and intergovernmental organizations, regulatory and policy-making body
- Strong work ethic who is a self-starter, shows passion, energy and enthusiasm for the journey ahead at McDonald’s
- Intellectual Curiosity & Problem-Solving – intelligent and agile; comfortable with concepts and complexity; able to think independently and make sound, reasoned judgments and solve problems
- Ability to manage multiple, simultaneous projects and, at times, within ambiguous and undefined circumstances.
- Excellent oral, written and overall communications skills; can credibly adopt a broad range of communication styles; sensitive to specific audiences in tone as well as content.
- Global mindset - working within and contributing to a globally understood picture of priorities and keeping global audiences and impacts for the business and external environment front of mind.
- Strong Business Acumen/Strategic Perspective – understands business and the strategic role of communications and public affairs
- Ability to Influence, both externally and internally
- Team-Orientation – a strong team-minded approach with ability to lead teams and effectively manage projects; ability to work assertively and collaboratively with management and colleagues at all levels of a decentralized organization.
- Composure – Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment; strong work ethic and personal integrity; calm under pressure.
McDonald’s is committed to providing qualified individuals with disabilities reasonable accommodations to perform the essential functions of their jobs. Additionally, if you (or another applicant of whom you are aware) require assistance accessing or reading this job posting or otherwise seek assistance in the application process, please contact [email protected]
McDonald’s provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to sex, sex stereotyping, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), race, color, religion, ancestry or national origin, age, disability status, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, protected military or veteran status, citizenship status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this job posting or description should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.