Medical Director, Psychiatric M.D.
- 1338 North Capitol St NW, Washington, DC 20002, USA
The McClendon Center, founded in 1980, is a certified community-based service provider operating under the District of Columbia Department of Behavioral Health. As a leading not-for-profit organization in Washington, DC, the McClendon Center provides outpatient behavioral rehabilitation to the mentally ill by fostering creativity, promoting friendship, instilling independence, and providing an outlet for emotional growth and greater participation in the community.
McClendon Center operates programs in two locations, a day program near Metro Center and an outpatient service clinic in the NOMA section of DC. The Center has revenues of approximately $9 million, with contracts from the Department of Behavioral Health, three Managed Medicaid Organizations, and grants from various foundations.
McClendon Center is a respected and highly rated agency in the District of Columbia. The Center is also the only independent mental health agency in the District to be accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations.
PT or FT opportunity available
The Medical Director is responsible for the psychiatric health and wellness of McClendon Center’s clients, all assessment and prescribing processes, and is the ultimate clinical decision-maker for the agency. The Medical Director provides direct services for the Center’s clients, supervises all psychiatry staff members, and is the agency’s administrative representative for psychiatry.
- Oversees the medication program by implementing the Center’s Medication Policy and recommending changes based on best practices, Joint Commission accreditation standards, and District regulations.
- Supervises all agency prescribers, including other psychiatrists, psychiatry residents, and Advance Practice Registered Nurses.
- Supervises the Director of Nursing and Health Services.
- Completes performance appraisals for supervisees by October 31st of each year.
- Attends the Center’s management team each month.
- Provides input for enhanced client care via weekly clinical team meetings, supervision, and problem-solving sessions.
- Ensures that all documentation (one's own and those who are being supervised) is timely, clinically appropriate, and adheres to all regulatory standards.
- Spends between 80% and 85% of her/his time seeing Center clients: interviews clients to obtain history performs psychiatric examinations, orders labs and other tests, and prescribes medications and treatments.
- By working with the Director of Nursing and Health Services, ensures that the Medication Clinic runs smoothly and that all clients who are coming in for services are served.
- Attends external meetings as needed, especially by representing the agency with the Department of Behavioral Health.
- Maintains ongoing relationships with any medical school with which the agency has an agreement to host psychiatry residents.
The Medical Director must be a licensed medical doctor in the District of Columbia. She/He must have demonstrated experience in clinical responsibility and oversight for other professional staff members; Must be free of any investigations or sanctions by local and/or federal regulatory agencies; Must be able to navigate an electronic health record.
- Licensed in the District of Columbia as a Medical Doctor, with a specialty in Psychiatry.
- Must also have at least one year of experience in a community mental health setting.
- 3 – 5 years of medical management experience.
- Effective interpersonal, oral, and written communication abilities.
- Outstanding presentational skills.
- Proficient with computers, web-based programs, and an electronic medical record system.
At the McClendon Center you will find powerful resources for career-long success, including:
- A competitive salary.
- Professional support and career development.
- A package of comprehensive benefits including health and wellness, four weeks of combined sick and vacation leave, 403(b) retirement contributions, and life insurance.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the job and the general nature and level of work performed by job holders within this job. This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities, or working conditions associated with the position.
McClendon Center is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin, sex, marital status, religion, or disability.
No phone calls, please. Note: McClendon Center is not accepting resumes or referrals from agencies. If you are a recruiter, search firm, or employment agency, you will not be compensated in any way for your referral of a candidate even if McClendon Center hires the candidate.