Human Resources Intern/Volunteer (Paid)
- Washington, DC
The McClendon Center, founded in 1980, is a certified community based service provider operating under the District of Columbia Department of Behavioral Health. As a leading not-for-profit organization in Washington, DC, the McClendon Center provides outpatient behavioral rehabilitation to the mentally ill by fostering creativity, promoting friendship, instilling independence, and providing an outlet for emotional growth and greater participation in the community. Accredited by Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO), the McClendon Center operates two programs: Day Program Services and the Core Services Agency (CSA).
McClendon Center operates programs in two locations, a day program near Metro Center and an outpatient service clinic in the NOMA section of DC. The Center has revenues of approximately $4.5 million, with contracts from the Department of Behavioral Health, three Managed Medicaid Organizations, and grants from various foundations.
McClendon Center is a respected and highly rated agency in the District of Columbia, having received the highest rating on the Department of Behavioral Health’s provider scorecard three out of the last five years. The Center is also the only independent mental health agency in the District to be accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations.
This link is to a video made in January 2015 about one of the Center’s staff members, and speaks to the way in which the Center works with its clients. https://vimeo.com/116797352
SUMMER INTERNSHIP (May - August)
An excellent opportunity for entry level candidates interested in pursuing a career in Human Resources. Gain knowledge about all aspects of human resources. Experience a warm team environment with thorough training, ongoing support and supervision.
A monthly transportation stipend of $90.00 will be provided. In addition, the Intern/Volunteer will receive an annual membership to the national chapter of the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) and their local SHRM chapter, as well as virtual & live training opportunities.
The work hours are flexible, with an expectation of 24 hours minimum per week (M - F, 9am - 5pm).
HR Interns can expect to:
- Assist in implementing HR policies and procedures.
- Gain knowledge about and experience the full cycle recruiting process.
- Implement and learn ADP Workforce NOW (HRIS) system as it relates to performance management, applicant tracking and time & attendance.
- Assist with various payroll functions.
- Opportunities to get involved in special projects i.e. conducting internet research on recruitment related activities, collecting recruitment data and creating reports, etc.
- Learn about state and federal mandated regulations in reference to FMLA, Workers Compensation, Benefits, etc.
- Be exposed to employee benefits administration.
- Other related duties, as assigned.
- Currently enrolled in an accredited Human Resource bachelors or masters level program or MBA program.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Two (2) or more years of work or volunteer.
- Self starter, able to work independently.
If you are ready for a new challenge in your professional career, submit your cover letter and resume online. Failure to attach a cover and/or a resume may disqualify you from further consideration. Resumes are reviewed on a rolling basis. This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the job and the general nature and level of work performed by job holders within this job. This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position. McClendon Center is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin, sex, marital status, religion, or disability. No phone calls, please.
Note: McClendon Center is not accepting resumes or referrals from agencies. If you are a recruiter, search firm, or employment agency, you will not be compensated in any way for your referral of a candidate even if McClendon Center hires the candidate.