Director, Global Brand Marketing (Barbie)
- 333 Continental Blvd, El Segundo, California
- Location: California - El Segundo
- Company: Mattel Sales Corp.
CREATIVITY IS OUR SUPERPOWER. It’s our heritage and it’s also our future. Because we don’t just make toys. We create innovative products and experiences that inspire, entertain and develop children through play. Mattel is at its best when every member of our team feels respected, included, and heard—when everyone can show up as themselves and do their best work every day. We value and share an infinite range of ideas and voices that evolve and broaden our perspectives with a reach that extends into all our brands, partners, and suppliers.
The Global Marketing team sets the global brand strategy, developing products and marketing plans for regional teams to execute in market. We are currently seeking a Director for the Barbie Brand Marketing team. This position reports to the VP of Brand Marketing for the Dolls Category, and will oversee the award-winning, multi-billion dollar Barbie brand. This Director will be a key member of the broader Barbie team, leading brand and marketing strategy across large cross-functional and agency teams including product marketing, brand creative, social media, digital content, regional subsidiaries, PR and media.
What Your Impact Will Be:
Brand and Social Impact Strategy:
• Defines brand strategy and co-authors long-term brand plans with product marketing and franchise lines of business.
• Drives organizational alignment against brand strategy to ensure appropriate levels of investment and execution to ultimately deliver against financial targets.
• Develops multi-year approach to social impact against key drivelines (Diversity & Inclusion, the Dream Gap Project, and Sustainability) and operationalizes both through external partners (non-profits, key consultants) and internal operations to sustain and expand Barbie’s social impact and reach.
• Spearheads the development of strategies for owned and operated platforms (YouTube, social media, web+CR) in partnership with cross-functional teams.
Marketing Strategy, Planning, & Operations:
• In partnership with VP, sets marketing strategy, formulating brand priorities for each calendar year to guide marketing plan development and resource allocation.
• Leads barbie brand marketing team in authoring marketing plans with clear objectives/strategies/tactics and KPIs, and drives flawless execution, while being nimble, flexible and tracking against real-time pivots and changes.
• Works closely with cross-functional partners (brand creative, digital, PR, product marketing) throughout the global marketing plan development and launch process with an eye towards management of advertising and promotional spend to drive ROI
• Owns global advertising & promotion budget process
• Collaborates with global subsidiaries to address global needs and market feedback; supports global information needs.
• Leads postmortems and marketing recaps on all key programs and initiatives
• Develops and presents key brand presentations for regional marketing counterparts, sharing key marketing strategies, playbooks, and assets to support activations.
• Manages the overarching marketing calendar to drive alignment across global markets as well as franchise lines of business.
Franchise Strategy & Management:
• Represents the brand’s strategic voice in building Franchise initiatives in categories beyond toy, such as gaming, consumer products, and live events.
• Embodies the brand perspective and voice, serving as reviewer and approver of assets across platforms and local market initiatives
What We’re Looking For:
• Minimum of 8 years (6 years with MBA) experience with experience across some, if not all, the following areas: brand marketing (on brand or agency side), franchise management/marketing, and CSR/purpose-driven strategy/marketing.
• Experience managing direct reports
• Demonstrated leadership, project management and strategic thinking skills.
• Excellent written/verbal, time management and quantitative/analytical skills required.
• Ability to analyze and draw conclusions from data, communicate, and present actionable insights to leadership.
Skillsets needed to succeed in this role include:
• A strategic mindset with the ability to anticipate and address the impact of future market dynamics, consumer trends, and competitors.
• Be the voice of the consumer, leaning into consumer data and insights to inform marketing strategies and planning
• An interest in and passion for purposeful impact, particularly in the spaces of Diversity & Inclusion, and equal opportunity for girls.
• Nimble and flexible thinking, ability to quickly learn and apply new ways of thinking
• Strong negotiation skills with the ability to influence and persuade.
• Excellent analytical and project management skills. Must be able to analyze business data, determine solutions, make sound recommendations and carry out actions in effective manner.
• Strong organizational skills with attention to detail
• Excellent communication skills (including written communication and oral presentations to small and large audiences)
• Strong presentation builder – able to effectively summarize detailed information into a presentation with clear narrative flow, succinct takeaways and impactful visuals
• A solutions-oriented, can-do attitude, a passion for variety, and adept at juggling multiple tasks and programs at once, without losing sight of key details
• Strong interpersonal skills, skilled relationship management and proven leadership qualities are crucial
• Ability to clearly communicate POV and inspire confidence amongst cross-functional teams
• Manage programs end-to-end: craft a compelling vision and strategy, be creative yet analytical/financially oriented, be resourceful in addressing roadblocks, and be a strong executer.
• Fast, efficient, and effective with time management
• Ability to be effectively motivate, develop and lead a team/direct reports.
What It’s Like to Work Here:
We are a purpose driven company aiming to empower the next generation to explore the wonder of childhood and reach their full potential. We live up to our purpose employing the following behaviors:
- We collaborate: Being a part of Mattel means being part of one team with shared values and common goals. Every person counts and working closely together always brings better results. Partnership is our process and our collective capabilities is our superpower.
- We innovate: At Mattel we always aim to find new and better ways to create innovative products and experiences. No matter where you work in the organization, you can always make a difference and have real impact. We welcome new ideas and value new initiatives that challenge conventional thinking.
- We execute: We are a performance driven company. We strive for excellence and are focused on pursuing best in class outcomes. We believe in accountability and ownership and know that our people are at their best when they are empowered to create and deliver results.
Who We Are:
Mattel is a leading global toy company and owner of one of the strongest catalogs of children’s and family entertainment franchises in the world. We create innovative products and experiences that inspire, entertain and develop children through play. We engage consumers through our portfolio of iconic brands, including Barbie, Hot Wheels, Fisher-Price, American Girl, Thomas & Friends, UNO and MEGA, as well as other popular intellectual properties that we own or license in partnership with global entertainment companies. Our offerings include film and television content, gaming, music and live events. We operate in 35 locations and our products are available in more than 150 countries in collaboration with the world’s leading retail and ecommerce companies. Since its founding in 1945, Mattel is proud to be a trusted partner in empowering children to explore the wonder of childhood and reach their full potential.
Visit us at https://jobs.mattel.com/ and www.instagram.com/MattelCareers.
Mattel is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer where we want you to bring your authentic self to work every day. We welcome all job seekers including minorities, females, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and those of all sexual orientations and gender identities.