International Senior Accountant
- Nairobi, Kenya
- Job Scope: Regional
- Working Language: English
- Technical/Practice Area: Finance
- Type of Engagement: Fixed Term
Since the 1970s, the University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) has been engaged in critical global health initiatives worldwide.
In September 2009, the Maryland Global Initiatives Corporation (MGIC) was formed as a nonprofit affiliate of UMB to help support the implementation of UMB international programs. UMB, through MGIC, is registered in Botswana, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Haiti, Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, Tanzania, and Zambia.
MGIC’s administrative operations support the research and clinical programs of the School of Medicine, Institute of Human Virology (IHV) and Center for International Health, Education & Biosecurity (Ciheb), and other UMB entities.
The International Sr. Accountant supports the financial operations of the MGIC office in the United States of America (MGIC US). In their role, the accountant assists the office with making payments, recording transactions in MGIC’s financial system, month-end closures, preparing financial statements, and other various accounting tasks. The accountant will also ensure that all transactions are conducted according to UMB or MGIC policies and procedures and US government rules and regulations.
The position may be based in Abuja, Dar es Salaam, Lusaka, or Nairobi. Individuals must note their preferred location in their application. MGIC will not sponsor work permits for this role.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs general cost accounting and other related financial duties for MGIC’s US office
- Prepares periodic balance sheets, income statements, and profit and loss statements
- Maintains the general ledger for MGIC US
- Codes invoices, sets up new accounts, reconciles accounts, and closes the monthly books for MGIC US in the ERP system
- Reconciles MGIC US’ bank account, verifies deposits and addresses inquiries from the bank
- Reconciles customer accounts and manages accounts receivable collections for MGIC US
- Verifies payment of invoices associated with accounts payable and ensures payments are charged to the appropriate accounts in UMB’s financial software system
- Provides outside auditors with assistance; gathers necessary account information and documents to perform an annual audit
- Files required tax forms with federal, state, and local government agencies
- As appropriate, coordinates with IT department
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or other related fields
- Professional certifications such as CPA or ACCA from a recognized professional body
- Required level of proficiency in English (speaking, reading, and writing)
Experience, Knowledge, and Skills
- Five (5) years of accounting experience in international development
- Extensive knowledge of general financial accounting and cost accounting
Skills and Abilities
- Understanding of and ability to adhere to US government and generally accepted accounting principles, such as 2 CFR 200
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and with cross-functional teams
- Highly proficient with accounting software, i.e., Quickbooks, etc.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.