Aircraft Fitter - Apprentice
- Newmarket Rd, Cambridge, UK
- Department: Military Aerospace
Marshall Aerospace and Defence Group is one of the largest independent aerospace and defence companies in the world delivering innovation and excellence in engineering, support solutions and services in the air, on land and at sea.
Since 1909, we have been valued for our integrity, performance and customer focus which we have demonstrated through our innovative solutions and ability to deliver on time and to cost.
We specialise in the conversion and modification of military, civil and business aircraft, alongside defence vehicle engineering and shelter manufacture. Our capabilities include engineering design, manufacture, test and the provision of personnel, training and advice, whilst providing maintenance, integration and product support.
Marshall Aerospace and Defence Group is part of the Marshall Group of Companies that employs over 6,000 people with a turnover in excess of £2.7bn.
We are a respected total solutions provider for the military and commercial sectors.
2020 marked the centenary of Marshall apprenticeships; do you want to become a part of the exciting world of aerospace and help to shape its future? Have you thought about working towards a level 3 qualification that will set you on the path to becoming an Engineering Technician working on aircraft? This is a path that will give you real-world, hands-on experience of working in an aerospace engineering environment which will, if successful, lead to the following qualifications:
• Level 2 Diploma in Aerospace & Aviation Engineering
• Level 3 Diploma in Aviation Maintenance (technical knowledge qualification)
• Level 3 Diploma in Aircraft Maintenance (competence qualification)
As a Marshall ADG apprentice you will be exposed to a range of knowledge, skills and behaviours to meet the Engineering Technician Apprenticeship and Engineering Council Standards. Not only will this demonstrate competency in the role but will complement the wider business strategy and enable you to support your long-term career development.
As an aircraft fitter, you will be expected to demonstrate the high level of skill and knowledge required to carry out maintenance, repairs and modifications to a variety of aircraft, safely, on time and within budget.
As both an apprentice and qualified fitter, duties will include:
- Attend and engage with training , including exams and 1-2-1 meetings with your tutors/assessors
- Manage your time effectively to complete all coursework, assignments and exams required to achieve the apprenticeship
- Reflect on your own practice and experiences and take any feedback on board
- Scheduled aircraft maintenance and servicing
- Unscheduled aircraft maintenance including defect rectification to aircraft systems and components
- Repairs to airframe structures
- All levels of modifications to aircraft structures, systems and interiors
- Related duties, including operation of ground equipment, assistance in aircraft movements and aircraft delivery
As a fitter, your role has by necessity, a very high level of quality control in order to maintain the aircraft safely and to regulatory standards. There is a requirement for you to gain a developed understanding of Marshall processes and procedures in order to be compliant with these standards.
You must be able to:
- Demonstrate commitment to continued professional development. This includes being self-motivated and taking ownership of your development and your apprenticeship.
- Adhere to safe systems of working practices.
- Demonstrate effective interpersonal skills in communicating both technical and non-technical information
- Understand processes and procedures
- Show genuine interest in engineering
- Adapt to change
- Work well within a team
- Demonstrate technical/academic competence, but above all, the appropriate behaviours expected of this standard.
We will not pretend it’s an easy option - we will challenge you in every way. But, nothing worth having comes easy. If you think you’ve got what it takes then we would love you to hear from you.
Expected start date will be in September 2021
- You must have at least 5 GCSEs at Grade A-C/4-9 including Mathematics, English Language and Science or equivalent.
Due to the nature of our business, all employment is subject to satisfactory references being obtained, attainment of either an MoD SC (Security Check), appropriate UK Criminal Record Check or Foreign Police Check (whichever is applicable depending on duration of UK residency) and, as applicable, a medical assessment. Access to US technical data by employees requires prior Trade Control function approval. Clearance must be carried out against all applicable US export control authorisations.