Senior Systems Engineer / Systems Engineering Manager
- Newmarket Rd, Cambridge, UK
Marshall Aerospace and Defence Group is one of the largest independent aerospace and defence companies in the world delivering innovation and excellence in engineering, support solutions and services in the air, on land and at sea.
Since 1909, we have been valued for our integrity, performance and customer focus which we have demonstrated through our innovative solutions and ability to deliver on time and to cost.
We specialise in the conversion and modification of military, civil and business aircraft, alongside defence vehicle engineering and shelter manufacture. Our capabilities include engineering design, manufacture, test and the provision of personnel, training and advice, whilst providing maintenance, integration and product support.
Marshall Aerospace and Defence Group is part of the Marshall Group of Companies that employs over 6,000 people with a turnover in excess of £2.7bn.
We are a respected total solutions provider for the military and commercial sectors.
This role offers the opportunity to become a significant part of our Systems Engineering leadership across the entire Land, Sea and Aerospace business. Focused initially on our Land domain, you will be embedded within the Systems Engineering department to deploy your knowledge of project lifecycles, leadership and engineering.
Working within a complex stakeholder landscape and often with immature, developing and changing requirements, you will be expected to assist and guide our internal departments and Customers / Suppliers to scope, develop and deliver solutions. You will learn and grow at pace, being rewarded by leading work that shapes the future of the Aerospace, Land and Sea domains. This is a prominent position within our organisation, which puts people at the heart of its success, with great prospects for progression and career development.
Interested candidates should possess an engineering or physical science degree, or a substantial period in industry and be ready to apply for chartered status with a relevant professional body if you have not already achieved it. It goes without saying you will have a passion for the discipline of Systems Engineering and a desire to share your passion with the team.
You will become a lead engineer on a large scale and complex project / bid or lead multiple smaller projects. You will ensure the product meets the Customer, contractual and legal requirements as part of the leadership in an integrated project team.
The successful applicant will be a decision maker, and become the primary technical point of contact on the projects. You will be empowered within the project to make final decisions on technical aspects, and will lead technical design reviews through our governance process.
Your principal duties will include:
- Promote the implementation of Systems Engineering across the MADG Engineering function.
- Be an inspirational project leader, projecting positive behaviours and influence onto the team.
- Possess an in-depth knowledge of the standards and specifications appropriate to the discipline of Systems Engineering (i.e. INCOSE knowledge, backed up in time with MADG’s internal process).
- Apply a pragmatic and best practice Systems Engineering techniques to support our projects and business development activities.
- Application of the MADG Business Management System (BMS) procedures in the conduct of your work.
- Work effectively across the matrix and deliver bottom-line performance collaboratively.
- Challenge the status quo, bring new ideas to improve engineering quality, productivity and timeliness of delivery.
- Set and enforce standards, ensure rigour, resilience and continuous improvement in design solutions, meeting all regulatory requirements, conforming to specifications, quality and requirements within schedule and budget.
- Act as a project integrator and interface between project management and other engineering teams.
Ensure budgets and timescales are met, whilst managing and ensuring delivery of functional engineering within the project team.
Lead engagement with the customer to develop a shared understanding of project objectives / milestones, and develop a working relationship.
Act promptly and mobilise internal resources and team to resolve complex customer cases.
You will be a qualified Systems Engineer with hands-on experience in the Land and/or Aerospace sectors. Experience outside of Land or Aerospace in other relevant sectors will be an advantage. We are seeking people with the ability to make a difference and pro-actively lead our Systems Engineering approach to large and complex project work.
We are looking to recruit three positions which will cover a range of experience so if you have the passion and a desire to make a difference but are relatively junior in your present role then don’t be put off – we would love to hear from you. You will have the following skills and qualities:
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate with energy and enthusiasm to all levels within and without the business.
- The ability to apply your skills and knowledge across a wide and diverse range of projects.
- Ideally qualified to degree level in Engineering, Mathematics or Physics with relevant and sufficient experience in the field.
- Market aware with a good understanding of the market in which MADG operates, including competitors, suppliers, customers and regulatory organisations.
- Experienced in planning and delivering large and complex tasks to schedule and budget demonstrating effective time management across many projects and priorities.
Have led a technical team with line management responsibility, in a matrix style organisation.
Proven experience of supporting team members to deliver and develop through coaching and guidance.
- Sound understanding of product safety, standards, technical risk management.
- Experienced with generating and managing requirements.
- Broad technical understanding of engineering field, for example Stress Analysis.
- Broad understanding of manufacturing techniques including, riveting, bonding, fabricating.
- Preferably have experience of the Land Military domain but not essential.
Due to the nature of our business, all employment is subject to satisfactory references being obtained, attainment of either an MoD SC (Security Check), appropriate UK Criminal Record Check or Foreign Police Check (whichever is applicable depending on duration of UK residency) and, as applicable, a medical assessment. Access to US technical data by employees requires prior Trade Control function approval. Clearance must be carried out against all applicable US export control authorisations.