Head of Operations
- Newmarket Road, Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
Marshall Aerospace and Defence Group is one of the largest independent aerospace and defence companies in the world delivering innovation and excellence in engineering, support solutions and services in the air, on land and at sea.
Since 1909, we have been valued for our integrity, performance and customer focus which we have demonstrated through our innovative solutions and ability to deliver on time and to cost.
We specialise in the conversion and modification of military, civil and business aircraft, alongside defence vehicle engineering and shelter manufacture. Our capabilities include engineering design, manufacture, test and the provision of personnel, training and advice, whilst providing maintenance, integration and product support.
Marshall Aerospace and Defence Group is part of the Marshall Group of Companies that employs over 6,000 people with a turnover in excess of £2.7bn.
We are a respected total solutions provider for the military and commercial sectors.
Marshall ADG will be undertaking modification of 5 E7 wedgetail aircraft for the UK MOD (Royal Air Force) at our facility in Cambridge
We have an amazing opportunity for an experienced individual to lead the operational element of this exciting complex modification programme. This opportunity would suit a talented professional who can manage stakeholders in a matrix, multi layered environment that can and influence, perform in ambiguous situations and has experience with aircraft modification or service operations.
With enthusiasm, passion and creativity the Head of Operations will be an inspirational leader who takes pride in driving a team forward to deliver exceptional operational standards. Using your previous experience in operations management and working in a fast-paced environment you'll get a thrill from ensuring the team execute daily against the planned deliverables to build to overall aircraft delivery to the customer.
With extensive experience in an Aerospace Operational manufacturing / Engineering environment you will provide the team guidance, development and coaching needed to create and deploy a high–performing and efficient team. Responsible for Manufacturing, Planning, Scheduling, Logistics, Engineering and Material Control Functions. You will provide the inspirational leadership to ensure that these teams satisfy and exceed the customer’s requirements while ensuring compliance with Company policies and procedures and maintaining a safe environment.
We look after our people just as much as we look after our customers, and you’ll discover a dedicated team to help keep you up to speed, together with structured approach to personal development for all the team and on top of a competitive salary, and pension, you’ll be able to make the most of a great benefits package, and Annual bonus opportunity.
- Driving innovation and problem solving using lean techniques to continually review processes/ways of working driving for improved efficiency
- Creating an environment that promotes accountability and ownership at every level
- Ensuring that the customer is at the heart of everything we do and managing that day-to-day relationship with the customer shopfloor personnel
- Supporting the strategic goals of the programme as a member of the Senior Leadership Team for the programme
- Ensuring the plan, costs and resulting actions are appropriately measured and monitored with support from the planning team
- Safety of all personnel and equipment in the Hangar; encouraging a safety-first focus throughout the programme
- Quality of product, workmanship and documentation
- Ensuring that all design/parts/workmanship driven change is prosecuted correctly through the system
- Ensuring the highest levels of Quality and Compliance to both Company and External agencies requirements
- Be a role model for building a world class operational team through development, coaching, motivation and support
Experience and Background
Extensive experience as an Operations Leader in a Production / Modification environment ideally from within an Aerospace and Defense Business
Skills / Abilities
- Goal and action oriented; tenacious, takes personal responsibility for seeing things through
- Motivate, involve and engage team members to deliver team and company objectives
- A proven manager, able to manage people, resources and equipment to optimise performance
- An innovative, continuous improvement, problem solving, zero defect and customer focused mindset
- Ability to work collaboratively across organisation boundaries and deliver results through others.
- Communicate assertively, concisely and professionally at all levels with internal and external contacts which demonstrate strong verbal and written communication skills
- Able to manage multiple, and at times conflicting, priorities and reprioritise according to changing needs / circumstances
- Responds calmly and constructively under pressure
- Good Level of numerical and analytical ability
- Broad operational capability, ability to effectively interface with a wide range of external / internal business disciplines
- Passionate about safety and quality, able to convince clients, staff and other stakeholders of our commitment and ability in these areas.
- Committed to the company values
- A safety-conscious approach to work
Due to the nature of our business, all employment is subject to satisfactory references being obtained, attainment of either an MoD SC (Security Check), appropriate UK Criminal Record Check or Foreign Police Check (whichever is applicable depending on duration of UK residency) and, as applicable, a medical assessment. Access to US technical data by employees requires prior Trade Control function approval. Clearance must be carried out against all applicable US export control authorisations.