Apprentice - Aircraft Fitter, Military Aerospace
- Newmarket Road, Apprenticeship, Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
Marshall Aerospace and Defence Group is one of the largest independent aerospace and defence companies in the world delivering innovation and excellence in engineering, support solutions and services in the air, on land and at sea.
Since 1909, we have been valued for our integrity, performance and customer focus which we have demonstrated through our innovative solutions and ability to deliver on time and to cost.
We specialise in the conversion and modification of military, civil and business aircraft, alongside defence vehicle engineering and shelter manufacture. Our capabilities include engineering design, manufacture, test and the provision of personnel, training and advice, whilst providing maintenance, integration and product support.
Marshall Aerospace and Defence Group is part of the Marshall Group of Companies that employs over 6,000 people with a turnover in excess of £2.7bn.
We are a respected total solutions provider for the military and commercial sectors.
2020 marks the centenary of Marshall apprenticeships, do you want to become a part of the exciting world of aerospace and help to shape its future? Have you thought about working towards a level 3 qualification that will set you on the path to becoming an Engineering Technician working on aircraft? Are you bright, hardworking and up for a challenge? If the answers are yes, yes and yes then have you thought about becoming an Engineering Technician Apprentice with Marshall Aerospace and Defence Group. This is a path that will give you real-world, hands-on experience of working in an aerospace engineering environment with qualifications in:
- Level 2 Diploma in Aerospace & Aviation Engineering
- Level 3 Diploma in Aviation Maintenance
- Level 3 Diploma in Aircraft Maintenance (civil aircraft mechanical)
As an engineering apprentice you will be exposed to a range of knowledge, skills and behaviours to meet the Engineering Technician Standard. Not only will this demonstrate competency in the role but will complement wider business strategy and enable you to support your long-term career development.
As an aircraft fitter, you will be expected to demonstrate the high level of skill and knowledge required to carry out maintenance repairs and modifications to a variety of aircraft, safely, on time and within budget.
As both an apprentice and qualified fitter, duties will include:
- Scheduled aircraft maintenance and servicing
- Unscheduled aircraft maintenance including defect rectification to aircraft systems and components
- Repairs to airframe structures
- All levels of modifications to aircraft structures, systems and interiors
- Related duties, including operation of ground equipment, assistance in aircraft movements and aircraft delivery
There are opportunities for being a part of Contract Working Parties. This relates to the requirement for Marshall to carry out maintenance, repairs and modifications to customers aircraft anywhere in the world.
As a fitter, your role has, by necessity, a very high level of quality control in order to maintain the aircraft safely and to regulatory standards. There is a requirement of you to gain a developed understanding or Marshall processes and procedures in order to be compliant with these standards.
You must be able to:
- Demonstrate commitment to continued professional development. This includes being self-motivated and taking ownership of your development and your apprenticeship.
- Adhere to safe systems of working practices.
- Demonstrate effective interpersonal skills in communicating both technical and non-technical information
- Understand processes and procedures
- Show genuine interest in engineering
- Adapt to change
- Work well within a team
- Demonstrate technical/academic competence, but above all, the appropriate behaviours expected of this standard.
We will not pretend it’s an easy option - we will challenge you in every way. But, nothing worth having comes easy. If you think you’ve got what it takes then we would love you to hear from you.
- You must have 5 GCSEs at Grade A-C/4-9 including Mathematics, English Language and Science or equivalent
Please note this role will commence in September 2020.
To enable you to successfully complete your 4 year apprenticeship we will be sending out an equipment list before you start which will include the requirement to have your own laptop, please discuss with a staff member at your first assessment day should this present an issue.
Due to the nature of our business, all employment is subject to satisfactory references being obtained, attainment of either a SC (Security Check), Disclosure Scotland Criminal Record Check or Foreign Police Check (whichever is applicable depending on duration of UK residency) and, as applicable, a medical assessment. Access to US technical data by employees requires prior Trade Control function approval. Clearance must be carried out against all applicable US export control authorisations.