Strategic Programme Manager
- Newmarket Rd, Cambridge, UK
Marshall Aerospace and Defence Group is one of the largest independent aerospace and defence companies in the world delivering innovation and excellence in engineering, support solutions and services in the air, on land and at sea.
Since 1909, we have been valued for our integrity, performance and customer focus which we have demonstrated through our innovative solutions and ability to deliver on time and to cost.
We specialise in the conversion and modification of military, civil and business aircraft, alongside defence vehicle engineering and shelter manufacture. Our capabilities include engineering design, manufacture, test and the provision of personnel, training and advice, whilst providing maintenance, integration and product support.
Marshall Aerospace and Defence Group is part of the Marshall Group of Companies that employs over 6,000 people with a turnover in excess of £2.7bn.
We are a respected total solutions provider for the military and commercial sectors.
This is an exciting and rare opportunity for a strategic operator who can combine PMO discipline with a broad base of business experience. This is not an IT role, although clearly IT will play a part in the achievement of the goals. We require someone who understands how to bring the pieces of large-scale programmes together. These programmes can involve any of the following:
- Deployment of multi-million-pound capital assets in facilities construction,
- Engineering / production / manufacturing / operational improvement programmes,
- Cost-base right-sizing,
- Bid management,
- IT / project transformation
You will be an experienced change manager who thrives on overseeing large-scale transformation programmes that cover the spectrum of physical assets, production processes, human factors and technology infrastructure. Critically, with any change programme there will also be a focus on people change; therefore you will have proven skill in understanding and addressing the impacts on people, their engagement and the way they work.
In return, we can offer you the opportunity to make a really significant and visible impact on the operational improvement initiatives that will take our business forward.
You will be working very closely with the wider Marshall ADG Business leaders to build strong working relationships to review progress, obstacles, successes and dependencies on a number of strategic programmes and projects, ensuring routes to impact are identified and that project plans and budgets are acceptable and achievable.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate a successful track record in the following activities:
- Responsible for the successful delivery of a range of complex portfolios of strategic programmes and projects delivered within budget, to time and consistent with commitments to funders and agreed targets.
- Identifies and manages all risks with viable and approved mitigation strategies.
- Partners in the prioritisation of tactical and strategic initiatives based on achieving goals, risks, impacts, resource availability and other relevant factors.
- Responsible for managing the financial aspects of programmes and projects.
- Lead the PMO.
- Deliver safety, quality, time and cost objectives in all programmes.
- Creation and oversight of complex and strategic project plans with appropriate contingency to assure deliverability and ongoing management and communication of these plans to relevant stakeholders.
- Ensures Business Case clearly articulates business success measures.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with sponsors, functional leaders, projects teams, stakeholders and executive leadership.
- Write and package business cases, performance plans and presentations for all audiences.
- Educated to degree level or above
- Experience of structured project methodologies, and recognised project management disciplines
- Experience of working with technical and engineering communities of practice (desirable)
- Demonstrable experience of adhering to principles, methods, techniques and tools for the effective management and administration of programmes and project lifecycles
- Proven success in matrix management initiatives and ongoing processes that drive business outcomes.
Skills / Abilities
- Ability to lead large-scale organisation change initiatives.
- Able to lead and delegate decision-making to ensure the successful completion of all project and programme deliverables.
- Ability to successfully manage the expectations of and communicate with senior stakeholders up to an executive level.
- Ability to translate a strategic approach to a set of project deliverables.
- Able to demonstrate a good grounding in training and development in Project Management e.g. PRINCE2 or equivalent
- Proven ability to work under pressure and manage complex and often unique issues creating relevant clarity in areas of ambiguity to force decisions.
- Highly skilled in negotiating, team building, and influencing others to achieve programme goals.
- Proven skills in adaptability, flexibility and resilience.
- Readiness to learn and eagerness to grow.
Due to the nature of our business, all employment is subject to satisfactory references being obtained, attainment of either a SC (Security Check), Disclosure Scotland Criminal Record Check or Foreign Police Check (whichever is applicable depending on duration of UK residency) and, as applicable, a medical assessment. Access to US technical data by employees requires prior Trade Control function approval. Clearance must be carried out against all applicable US export control authorisations.