Head of Risk, Opportunity & Change Management
- Newmarket Rd, Cambridge, UK
Marshall Aerospace and Defence Group is one of the largest independent aerospace and defence companies in the world delivering innovation and excellence in engineering, support solutions and services in the air, on land and at sea.
Since 1909, we have been valued for our integrity, performance and customer focus which we have demonstrated through our innovative solutions and ability to deliver on time and to cost.
We specialise in the conversion and modification of military, civil and business aircraft, alongside defence vehicle engineering and shelter manufacture. Our capabilities include engineering design, manufacture, test and the provision of personnel, training and advice, whilst providing maintenance, integration and product support.
Marshall Aerospace and Defence Group is part of the Marshall Group of Companies that employs over 6,000 people with a turnover in excess of £2.7bn.
We are a respected total solutions provider for the military and commercial sectors.
The primary purpose of the role is to actively develop the competence & maturity level of Risk, Opportunity & Change Management across MADG. This will involve undertaking independent maturity assessments (& associated gap closure planning), development & delivery of appropriate training interventions/best practices together with the identification & deployment of appropriate enterprise tools.
This role will also be responsible for the generation & implementation of appropriate processes, procedures & standards, followed by appropriate compliance monitoring.
This is a key role within the central MADG Programme Management & Controls Office (PMCO).
- MADG Director of Programme Controls
- MADG Head of Programmes
- Business Unit MD’s
- Project Directors & Project Managers
- IPT Leads, Work Package Managers & Team members
- Project Control Managers
- Project Schedulers
- Bid Managers & Capture Leads
- PMCO Team members
- Finance & Commercial Functions.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Defining, implementing and governing the risk, opportunity & change management processes, tools & competencies required to deliver programmes & projects in accordance with MADG Business processes.
- Identifying and transferring risk, opportunity & change management best practices between MADG Business Units, Programmes & Projects,
- Defining & implementing standard methodologies, processes & templates
- Assessment and measurement of project capabilities & competencies across MADG
- Development, ownership and delivery of a Capability Improvement Plan (CIP) for risk, opportunity & change management across MADG
- Provision of expert support to project teams during the roll-out and use of new risk, opportunity & change management systems and tools
- Delivery of individual and team based coaching / training programmes, providing expert advice and guidance
- Communication with other MADG Functions during development of common risk, opportunity & change management systems and tools to ensure that proposed solutions are holistic and adequate for the needs of MADG
- Providing ‘hands-on’ risk, opportunity & change management support to problem resolution to projects & bids (when required)
- Formation & leadership of an MADG risk, opportunity & change management ‘Community of Practice’ (CoP)
- Conducting independent assurance audits on risk &opportunity registers, change boards & change logs and compliance to risk, opportunity & change management processes/procedures across MADG
- Work with the Head of Planning to develop & deploy the competence for conducting Quantitative Schedule Risk Analysis (QSRA) across the PM&C community
- Subject matter expert & reference point for risk, opportunity & change management across MADG
Personal Skills & Knowledge:
- High energy individual, with ability motivate self and team
- Self-motivated, creative with the ability to produce accurate work under pressure while continuing to meet deadlines
- High attention to detail but with a pragmatic attitude and focus on end deliverables.
- Expert level of competence in risk, opportunity & change management, including hands-on use of tools such as PRA, Predict, ARM
- Experience in the maintenance of Performance Measurement Baselines (schedule, cost & risk), EVM, OBS/WBS/CBS and IPT structures, Project Controls & Commercial
- Excellent communication & presentation skills, with articulate oral and concise written skills
- Excellent stakeholder management skills
- Confident and diplomatic with an ability to create, influence and foster working relationships internally and with customers at all levels of the business.
- Excellent leadership, interpersonal & influencing skills
- Ability to operate with minimal guidance and achieve job objectives with a significant degree of independence.
Education & Experience:
- Degree in a Technical subject (or equivalent by relevant experience)
- APM or PMI qualification preferred
- Significant experience of risk, opportunity & change management within a matrix structure
- Experience in System and Tools Definition, Development and Deployment across large and complex project environments, preferably including:-
- Primavera (eg P3e/P5/P6/P7)
- Microsoft Project
- Predict, ARM, @Risk, PertMaster and PRA
- Acumen Fuse
- Other Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Sharepoint, Word, Visio, etc.,)
- Experience in working as a risk, opportunity & change management professional within an engineering, manufacturing or related industry, preferably across multi-disciplined project teams.
Values & Behaviours:
- Customer Service
- Integrity & Fairness
- Innovation & Creativity
- People development
Due to the nature of our business, all employment is subject to satisfactory references being obtained, attainment of either an MoD SC (Security Check), appropriate UK Criminal Record Check or Foreign Police Check (whichever is applicable depending on duration of UK residency) and, as applicable, a medical assessment. Access to US technical data by employees requires prior Trade Control function approval. Clearance must be carried out against all applicable US export control authorisations.