- Newmarket Rd, Cambridge, UK
Marshall Aerospace and Defence Group is one of the largest independent aerospace and defence companies in the world delivering innovation and excellence in engineering, support solutions and services in the air, on land and at sea.
Since 1909, we have been valued for our integrity, performance and customer focus which we have demonstrated through our innovative solutions and ability to deliver on time and to cost.
We specialise in the conversion and modification of military, civil and business aircraft, alongside defence vehicle engineering and shelter manufacture. Our capabilities include engineering design, manufacture, test and the provision of personnel, training and advice, whilst providing maintenance, integration and product support.
Marshall Aerospace and Defence Group is part of the Marshall Group of Companies that employs over 6,000 people with a turnover in excess of £2.7bn.
We are a respected total solutions provider for the military and commercial sectors.
Marshall Aerospace and Defence Group is looking for proactive and self motivated individuals to join their four year full-time structured finance training programme. We are seeking individuals who are interested in a career in Finance and who are driven to ensure they have the best possible opportunity to fulfil their potential at Marshall ADG. We recognise that in order to have a strong, talented, industry leading Finance team we need to grow our talent and ensure that experienced people develop their careers within the business.
The programme is designed to equip our individuals with the skills and knowledge required for a career in finance and includes the following:
- A solid foundation into finance
- Invaluable on-the-job training
- An opportunity to experience all key areas of a finance function
- A designated mentor
- Support from a dedicated training manager
- Financial support towards professional qualifications
- A “soft-landing” into a finance role
The successful applicants will have the opportunity to experience reporting and control, processing, business partnering, forecasting and budgeting and business unit finance (including project accounting).
After two years on the programme, individuals will be aligned to a technical or commercial finance stream based on the skills and attributes they have acquired in the first two years of the programme. In the fourth and final year we will provide the individual with an opportunity to be placed in a post-qualified role within the business aligned to their chosen stream. Throughout the programme, individuals will be provided with competency based development plans which are benchmarked against industry standards.
Successful candidates will hold the following responsibilities throughout the programme:
- Reporting and control:
- Assisting with preparation of monthly management accounts and related analysis in accordance with reporting deadlines.
- Assisting with consolidation of UK and overseas subsidiary reporting.
- Assisting with preparation of group reporting requirements to our parent company
- Preparing and reviewing accruals, prepayments and other regular balance sheet journals and transactions.
- Preparing and maintaining balance sheet account reconciliations
- Assisting accounts payable and receivable on an ad hoc basis
- Preparing weekly cash forecasts for the group
Business partnering/business unit support:
- Responsible for business partnering and project accounting within areas of responsibility
- Providing financial support and analysis to non-finance budget holders
- Partnering with commercial and procurement to ensure project estimates are kept up-to-date
- Partnering with the operations teams to understand project programmes, milestones, risks and opportunities to ensure great financial management of projects
- Supporting other ad hoc business improvement projects such as investment appraisals and business improvement projects
- Building and maintaining business metrics and KPIs to support business decision making
Forecasting and budgeting:
- Preparing, agreeing and challenging annual budgets and monthly reforecasts for areas of responsibility
- Collation of the order book for MADG on a monthly basis and distributing to senior stakeholders
- Preparation of monthly journals relating to foreign exchange hedging instruments
In addition, every six months the trainee accountants are given a team project to work on which is designed to enable them to meet people from across the business to experience other areas within MADG. It will ordinarily focus on a key strategic decision for the business. The team report to the Finance Director on this with support from an appropriately placed member of the senior finance team.
- Be positive, proactive and have a “can-do” attitude
- Be able to work independently and prioritise a varied workload; working to a schedule and tight deadlines
- Be able to overcome complex problems
- Be able to make difficult decisions
- Able to work as part of a team to reach a common goal
- Be able to influence and challenge difficult stakeholders
- Demonstrate a good standard of written and oral communication skills
Due to the nature of our business, all employment is subject to satisfactory references being obtained, attainment of either an MoD SC (Security Check), appropriate UK Criminal Record Check or Foreign Police Check (whichever is applicable depending on duration of UK residency) and, as applicable, a medical assessment. Access to US technical data by employees requires prior Trade Control function approval. Clearance must be carried out against all applicable US export control authorisations.