Lead Composites Engineer - Advanced Composites
- Ings Lane, Kirkbymoorside, North Yorkshire
Marshall Aerospace and Defence Group is one of the largest independent aerospace and defence companies in the world delivering innovation and excellence in engineering, support solutions and services in the air, on land and at sea.
Since 1909, we have been valued for our integrity, performance and customer focus which we have demonstrated through our innovative solutions and ability to deliver on time and to cost.
We specialise in the conversion and modification of military, civil and business aircraft, alongside defence vehicle engineering and shelter manufacture. Our capabilities include engineering design, manufacture, test and the provision of personnel, training and advice, whilst providing maintenance, integration and product support.
Marshall Aerospace and Defence Group is part of the Marshall Group of Companies that employs over 6,000 people with a turnover in excess of £2.7bn.
We are a respected total solutions provider for the military and commercial sectors.
Advanced Composites are looking for a Lead Composites Engineer to join our team based in Kirkbymoorside, North Yorkshire.
The ideal candidate will possess a broad knowledge of Design principles for composite materials as well as manufacturing and production processes to deliver technical solutions on a number of projects within different sectors of industry.
Delivery focus is key with this role. As a Lead Engineer, not only will the candidate have proven experience in leading a team of engineers, but work seamlessly across Engineering, Operations, Supply Chain and Manufacturing to ensure products are delivered as expediently as possible.
The successful applicant will form part of an exciting department which covers a diverse range of activities to help shape the success of the organisation and its future objectives.
· Report to the Head of Engineering for Advanced Composites, deputising as required.
· Co-ordinate and monitor Engineering activity, liaising with project managers to agree and set work load and priorities
· Identify, organise and use resources effectively to ensure tasks are completed to budget, schedule and quality, whilst providing technical and commercial management compliant with requirements and regulations
· Make informed engineering design decisions when escalation is required
· Collate and provide weekly metrics and visual management boards to demonstrate end to end performance, highlighting and acting on key improvements
· Perform root cause analyses and support the implementation of corrective actions.
· Develop a continuous improvement culture by supporting the implementation of lean techniques, review and assess new technology and develop processes that reduce cost, improve quality and increase efficiency.
· Contribute to SEMP (Systems Engineering Management Plan), providing support for the production and manufacturing approach.
· Keeping current with technology development enabling contribution to our technology roadmap and championing the introduction of technology in line with our strategy
· Possess a working knowledge of the standards appropriate to the discipline of Systems Engineering.
· Apply a pragmatic and best practice Systems Engineering technique to support our projects and business development activities.
Although a degree or equivalent in a relevant subject (such as Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering) is preferred, we understand the value of experience so all candidates with a demonstrable and significant background in the design of fibre-reinforced composite structures are welcome to open discussions.
Key Skills / Competencies:
· Dynamic and proactive attitude.
· Resourceful and adaptable, with good interpersonal skills
· Strong communication skills with the ability to interact with all levels of internal personnel and represent the company externally with customers
· Excellent IT skills, including Microsoft packages with a knowledge/interest in emerging technologies.
· Catia V5 with exposure to a typical PLM system, and experience within Fibresim or Catia CPE/CPD
· Experience of leading a delivery team in a design for manufacture environment
· Experience within composite sectors of industry with a solid background in designing and developing composite structures with a demonstratable knowledge of laminate theory and tooling design accompanied with a broad knowledge of materials and processes
· Experience of aerospace component manufacturing and assembly processes within an AS9100 accredited production environment.
· Familiarity of appropriate certification requirements within industry sector.
Marshall ADG offers employees an attractive reward package. This comprises:
Competitive base salary
Discretionary bonus scheme
25 days holiday plus bank holidays
Generous company pension scheme
Access to a healthcare plan
An excellent flexible benefit scheme
Access to a discount scheme which offers substantial savings with a range of retailers, hotel chains, holiday companies etc.
Due to the nature of our business, all employment is subject to satisfactory references being obtained, attainment of either a SC (Security Check), Disclosure Scotland Criminal Record Check or Foreign Police Check (whichever is applicable depending on duration of UK residency) and, as applicable, a medical assessment. Access to US technical data by employees requires prior Trade Control function approval. Clearance must be carried out against all applicable US export control authorisations.