Senior Composite Structural Design Engineer
- Ings Lane, Kirkbymoorside, England, gb
Marshall Aerospace and Defence Group is one of the largest independent aerospace and defence companies in the world delivering innovation and excellence in engineering, support solutions and services in the air, on land and at sea.
Since 1909, we have been valued for our integrity, performance and customer focus which we have demonstrated through our innovative solutions and ability to deliver on time and to cost.
We specialise in the conversion and modification of military, civil and business aircraft, alongside defence vehicle engineering and shelter manufacture. Our capabilities include engineering design, manufacture, test and the provision of personnel, training and advice, whilst providing maintenance, integration and product support.
Marshall Aerospace and Defence Group is part of the Marshall Group of Companies that employs over 6,000 people with a turnover in excess of £2.7bn.
We are a respected total solutions provider for the military and commercial sectors.
The ideal candidate will possess a broad knowledge of design principles for composite materials as well as manufacturing processes in order to deliver technical solutions on a number of projects within different sectors of industry. As a Senior Design Engineer, the candidate will have proven experience in leading a team of engineers within a composite material based project and bringing it to a successful completion.
Successful applicants will exhibit the following abilities:
- Evidence a solid background and experience in designing and developing composite structures (Primary and Secondary)
- Demonstrate knowledge of laminate theory within design
- Experience of tooling design for the manufacture of composite parts
- Ability to carry out preliminary stress hand calculations for structural sizing purposes
- Identify, organise and use resources effectively to complete tasks with consideration for cost, quality, risk and safety
- Ability to provide technical and commercial management, compliant with requirements and regulations within agreed programmes and timescales
- Estimating project costs and timescales
- Able to carry out interviews, staff appraisal and mentoring.
Key skills for the role are, but not limited to:
- Be able to make informed engineering design decisions and be able to judge when escalation is required.
- Be resourceful and adaptable, with good interpersonal skills.
- Have strong communication and organisation skills.
- Although a degree or equivalent in a relevant subject (such as Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering) is preferred, we understand the value of experience so all candidates with a demonstrable and significant background in the design of fibre-reinforced composite structures are welcome to open discussions.
- •Ideally experience within composite sectors of industry.
- Catia V5 with exposure to a typical PLM system, and experience within Fibresim or Catia CPE/CPD.
- Familiarity of appropriate certification requirements within industry sector.
- Proven management skills commensurate with the position.
Due to the nature of our business, all employment is subject to satisfactory references being obtained, attainment of either an MoD SC (Security Check), appropriate UK Criminal Record Check or Foreign Police Check (whichever is applicable depending on duration of UK residency) and, as applicable, a medical assessment. Access to US technical data by employees requires prior Trade Control function approval. Clearance must be carried out against all applicable US export control authorisations.