Programmer Analyst (iSeries)
- 790 Industrial Rd, Cambridge, ON N3H 4W1, Canada
- Employees can work remotely
For 60 years, Manitoulin Transport has been providing comprehensive transportation and logistics solutions for clients across North America. Our success lies in our innovation and safety, and our dedication to reliable, on-time delivery. So, if you know where you’re headed, we have the training and career development to help you get there.
The Programmer Analysts’ role is to define, test, analyze, implement and maintain software applications in support of the achievement of business requirements. This includes scripting, testing, and analyzing supported software programs and applications. The Programmer Analyst will also research, document, and modify software specifications throughout the production life cycle. The Programmer Analyst is accountable for all software upgrades and implementations and is a key liaison between the business and IT.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Strategy & Planning
- Collaborate with Senior Programmer Analyst, designers and the iSeries DevOps Manager in conceptualizing and development of new software programs and applications.
- Analyze and assess existing business systems and procedures with some guidance.
- Assist in the definition, development, and documentation of software’s business requirements, objectives, deliverables, and specifications on a project-by-project basis in collaboration with internal users and departments.
- Assist in defining software development project plans, including scoping, scheduling, and implementation.
- Research, identify, analyze, and fulfill requirements of all internal and external program users.
Acquisition & Deployment
- Conduct research on emerging application development software products, languages, and standards in support of procurement and development efforts.
- May liaise with vendors for efficient implementation of new software products or systems and for resolution of any adaptation issues.
- Recommend, schedule, and perform software improvements and upgrades.
- Liaise with network administrators to assist in resolving problems with software products or company software systems.
- Consistently write, translate, and code software programs and applications according to specifications.
- Write programming scripts to enhance functionality, scheduling and/or performance of company applications as necessary.
- Design, run and monitor software performance tests on new and existing programs for the purposes of correcting errors, isolating areas for improvement, and general debugging.
- Administer critical analysis of test results and deliver solutions to problem areas.
- Generate statistics and write reports for management and/or team members on the status of the programming process.
- Develop and maintain user manuals and guidelines.
- Train end users or super users to operate new or modified programs when required.
- Install software products for end users as required.
- Maintain system data integrity to reduce impact and errors on all application
- Work professionally with external customers, Government Agencies and auditors
- Compliance of IT best practices, documentation procedures and company/government regulations
- Works within service desk environment to resolve customer issues
- Responsible for any other duties assigned by manager.
** This job does not have to be located in Cambridge. We are open to candidates from other cities as well as the possibility for remote work. **
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
College diploma or university degree in the field of computer science and/or 2 years equivalent work experience.
Training certificates directly related to the position
- Proficiency in a variety of programming languages, including RPG ILE, SQL, CL, DDS, XML
- Excellent understanding of coding methods and best practices, including the RPG Integrated Language Environment, and Version control such as Git.
- Extensive relational database and operating systems experience with OS/400 V7, DB2, MySQL, IBM query, NGS query
- Thorough understanding of platforms such as IBM Rational Developer for I and ARCAD for iSeries
- Solid working knowledge of current Internet technologies, including web services, HTTP, Apache, XML, HTML
- Proficient in EDI technologies including customer requirements, EDI specifications, etc.
- Prior experience interviewing end-users for insight on functionality, interface, problems, and/or usability issues.
- Hands-on experience developing test cases and test plans.
- Able to communicate effectively with non-technical staff and with members of interdisciplinary teams.
- Flexible and adaptable in regards to learning and understanding new technologies.
- Strong written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to conduct research into software-related issues and products.
- Highly self-motivated and directed, with keen attention to detail.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
What we offer:
- Competitive wages
- Benefits Package (including heath and dental)
- Profit Sharing Program
- Opportunities for growth and development