Special Programs and Innovation Intern
Since 2004, Mandiant has been a trusted partner to security-conscious organizations. Effective security is based on the right combination of expertise, intelligence, and adaptive technology, and the Mandiant Advantage SaaS platform scales decades of frontline experience and industry-leading threat intelligence to deliver a range of dynamic cyber defense solutions. Mandiant’s approach helps organizations develop more effective and efficient cyber security programs and instills confidence in their readiness to defend against and respond to cyber threats.
If you have an interest or background in reverse engineering and are looking to apply those skills to real world Threat Intelligence problems then we want to hear from you!
On the Special Programs and Innovation (SPI) Team we are focused creating innovative solutions to keep FireEye on the front lines of Threat Intelligence. Specifically, the SPI team focuses on applying engineering and technical expertise to develop projects which allow our customers to better utilize our data, and to create new and innovative ways for FireEye to collet Threat Intelligence. One of SPI’s critical projects is our adversary emulation solution, which focuses on synthesizing FireEye’s intelligence to build industry-leading scenarios replication adversary behavior, for use by Red Teams and Cyber Trainers.
The goal of this project is to gain an understanding of FireEye’s intelligence and incident responses processes, and then apply engineering and malware analysis skills to create scenarios emulating adversaries from APT, FIN, or other groups.
The goals of this internship are twofold: to provide interns and opportunity to learn malware analysis and apply it to real world projects, and to increase the capacity of the SPI team’s adversary emulation capability.
To accomplish this project the intern will:
- Be provided a mentor to guide the reverse engineering process
- Conduct extensive research into current threat activity to determine customer-relevant threat intelligence
- Distill threat intelligence about an adversary into actionable adversary emulation scenarios
- Apply their reverse engineering skills to understand the tools, techniques, and procedures (TTPs) used by an adversary
- Repurpose real world malware to create realistic attack scenarios
This project provides interns a unique opportunity to both be exposed to FireEye’s Threat Intelligence process, but also to apply your reverse engineering skills to solve real world problems.
- Development experience with C, Python, and Go.
- Basic understanding of Windows operating systems internals. Experience with X86 and AMD-64 assembly and system architecture.
- Strong in software testing and debugging
- Ability to document and explain technical details clearly and concisely
- Ability to understand and communicate intelligence data
As a U.S. federal contractor, Mandiant has adopted a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy to comply with our obligations under applicable laws and requirements. This position is covered under Mandiant’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy and therefore proof of vaccination against COVID-19 will be required as a condition of hire. At Mandiant we are committed to our #OneTeam approach combining diversity, collaboration, and excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.