SOC Intern- Managed Defense (Remote- USA)
Mandiant Managed Defense is a Managed Detection and Response (MDR) service that combines industry-recognized cyber security expertise, cutting-edge technology, and unparalleled knowledge of attackers to identify threats early in the attacker lifecycle to minimize the potential impact of a breach. Mandiant Managed Defense is continuously fueled by the industry’s largest global cyber threat intelligence capability that harnesses machine, campaign, adversary, and victim intelligence gained from the frontlines of the world’s most consequential cyber-attacks enabling us to reveal even the most sophisticated attacker.
As an intern on the Managed Defense team, you will be at the forefront of cyber defense for many of the world’s top companies. You will collaborate with other analysts to investigate security events, contextualize them with available intelligence, and identify potential threats within our customer base. You will transform event information and raw data into compromise reporting for our customers, acting to identify and halt active intrusions.
You will find yourself going head to head on a daily basis with interactive attackers, nation state actors, financially motivated criminals, and malware authors. You will be empowered with access to numerous resources, including entry-points into Mandiant’s corpus of intelligence regarding attacker methodologies, missions, and infrastructure. You will leverage your strong understanding of attacker methodologies to keep our customers and the real people they represent safe from compromise by discovering intrusions early, scoping them, and providing written technical recommendations for customers to contain, remediate, and prevent threats in the future. Your attention to detail and dedication to security will help keep our customers safe from those who seek to take advantage of them.
What You Will Do:
- Perform live response data collection and analysis on hosts of interest in an investigation
- Collate and analyze relevant events from host and network device log files
- Perform incident response and basic malware analysis to investigate incidents
- Help determine the extent of the compromise, attributes of any malware, and possible data exfiltrated
- Maintain current knowledge of tools and best-practices in advanced persistent threats; tools, techniques, and procedures of attackers; and forensic and incident response
- All applicants must be currently pursuing a degree at an accredited institution
- Experience reviewing raw log files, data correlation, and analysis (I.e. firewall, network flow, IDS, system logs) is preferred
- Experience with well-known security tools such as NMAP, Nessus, TCPDump, Wireshark, and Netcat
- Understanding of Windows operating systems and command line tools
- A solid foundation in networking fundamentals, with a basic understanding of TCP/IP and other core protocols
- Knowledge of network-based services and client/server applications
- Experience with and knowledge of packet flow, TCP/UDP traffic, Security Incident Event Monitoring (SIEM) Tools, IDS technologies (e.g. Snort rules), proxy technologies, antivirus solutions, and other enterprise security operations tools
- The ability to document and explain technical details clearly and concisely
- Exemplary communication and interpersonal skills
- A willingness to be challenged and a strong desire to learn
- An open mind, and an appetite for excellence
At Mandiant we are committed to our #OneTeam approach combining diversity, collaboration, and excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
Minimum Hourly Rate: $[25.00]. Final rate will be determined commensurately with cost of living, experience level, and/or any other legally permissible considerations.
Benefits: Employer subsidized benefits include Medical Insurance. FireEye also provides Flexible Paid Sick Time and Paid Holidays.
*Disclosure as required by sb19-085 (8-5-20)