Senior Analyst, IIS Engineer
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
The Data Center Systems Engineer position works on the Data Center Operations Team to deliver and manage data center facilities and physical computing environments. The technician will take direction from and work with the Data Center Manager. Duties will include, but are not limited to, racking/stacking hardware and moving datacenter Infrastructure, server, and network hardware. Updating firmware and bios on server hardware, console into equipment and set IP address information, running networking and power cables, and updating documentation. The Engineer will work closely with other infrastructure teams to install, maintain, and troubleshoot hardware and software in the data center environment. The candidate will also be able to execute small projects on their own and work with the manager in planning and executing larger projects.
Perhaps the most important skill for a Data Center Systems Engineer is problem solving -- frequently under various sorts of constraints and stress. The Systems Engineer is on call when a computer system goes down or malfunctions and must be able to diagnose quickly and correctly what is wrong and how best to fix it. Interpret and/or discuss information with others, which involves terminology or concepts not familiar to many people; regularly provide advice and recommend actions involving rather complex issues.
Responsibilities sometimes require working evenings and weekends, sometimes with little advanced notice. This role may also require travel. Participate in On-Call rotation required.
· Rack and cable a large inventory of servers, switches, and power distribution units in production environment.
· Perform initial configuration and provision for deployment: servers, network gear and various infrastructure related equipment.
· Perform stringent hardware qualification testing on new hardware configurations and approve them for production deployment.
· Help with data center capacity and growth planning as well as rack and server layout
· Troubleshoot and remedy hardware issues for servers and networking equipment
· Manage RMA processes with various vendors for hardware warranty returns.
· Maintain an up-to-date inventory list of all hardware equipment between all data centers.
· Manage and maintain a DCIM tool for all data center and office Infrastructure assets.
· Implement and follow best-practice methodology for maintaining a datacenter environment.
· Track datacenter related issues and tasks via our ticketing system.
· Work with other teams to maintain and work on hardware in the data center
· Establishes systems by planning and executing the selection, installation, configuration, and testing of server hardware, software, and operating and system management systems.
· Upgrades system by conferring with vendors and services; developing, testing, evaluating, and installing enhancements and new software.
· Protects organization's value by keeping information confidential.
· Manage service requests and change requests through our internal ticketing system
· Data Center housekeeping tasks, keep walkway clean all time, consumable inventory, manage shipping and receiving etc.
· Work closely with Project Managers and other teams to plan and execute successful implementation for users.
· Triaging and repairing data center fiber optic cabling/systems and network hardware.
· Co-ordinating remote hands and eyes for any data center network and compute issues.
· Decommissioning equipment, cabling and network hardware as needed
· Experience dealing with customers during problem resolution and operating efficiently under pressure.
· Understanding of and experience with networking and cabling
· Understanding of Linux and Windows operating systems
· Advanced understanding of and experience with computer hardware components.
· Basic knowledge and experience with Microsoft office products for documentation and diagramming
· Superior troubleshooting skills
· Experience designing data center layouts and computing environments
· Willingness to work some nights and weekends
· Ability to work with vendors/other third parties by phone or in person to resolve issues quickly
· Basic Knowledge of or experience with power systems and circuits.
· Strong communication skills, be a highly motivated self-learner who takes direction well
· 2-5 years of experience in supporting enterprise servers, OS, and data center environments
· 2+ years managing hardware such as Dell, HP, Cisco UCS, SuperMicro appliances
· 2+ years’ experience managing data center infrastructure, PDUs, terminal console switches, and KVM over IP
· Experience installing and managing Linux systems (RHEL, CentOS, Ubuntu)
· Experience with DCIM or asset management tools
· Excellent written/oral communication skills
· Excellent organizational and time management skills.
· Ability to multi-task in fast paced environment
· Proven ability to take a given task and work independently and as part of a team to bring the task to completion.
· Excellent ability to troubleshoot methodologies and solve issues to meeting deadlines
· BA/BS Information Technology, Computer Science, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or a related field (or equivalent experience)
· IT Certifications such as A+, Server+, Network+, or similar preferred
This position requires the incumbent to sit, stand and perform general office functions. The incumbent may also be required to lift 50 pounds or more occasionally. Work on ladders and step ladders is required. Bending, stooping, and reaching are also frequently required.