- Remote in US and Canada, Remote, [US/Canada], United States
- Employees can work remotely
Funded by a new generation of venture capital investors focused on driving ‘legacy’ societal progress just as much as business results, MTTR is kicking off as a new media brand aimed at making culture more conscious, and determined to completely disrupt the media industry as we know it. MTTR lives at the intersection of content x pop culture x social impact. As the brand takes shape, MTTR will go beyond producing engaging and informative content by integrating innovation, advocacy and action into its brand and community to drive real-world, social change. Our team is a motley crew of obsessive storytellers, brand-builders, movement-makers and relentless activists and inventors all hellbent on making the world stop, think, realign and thrive like never before. We do this from our remote office locations across the Unitied States and Canada. https://mttr.is/
The curatorial team is responsible for building the heart and soul of our core product: Collections. These irresistible content journeys are a huge part of why people will even subscribe to MTTR and the starting point for discourse on our platform. The team also provides editorial expertise on product development, tone, online and offline conversations, and other community building activities. We are kind, curious, voracious content nerds who delight in unexpected discoveries, gripping stories, and — most of all — seeing things in new ways.
You can’t stand the status quo and are ready to forge a new direction; you’re a senior editor who sees today’s clickbait and outrage culture as unacceptable; and you have the vision and drive to help create a new media and community platform built on fixing the divisions in our country — starting with the way we consume media and engage with each other.
We’re looking for an editorial whiz to construct and corral the narratives around the issues that matter most to our world. Keep in mind you’re not creating these stories yourself; you’re masterfully guiding a team of curators to present these stories in a new way, allowing our audience to open their apertures, deepen their understanding of a topic, and ultimately become more empathetic people.
As MTTR’s lead editor, you’ll run the in-house curatorial team that touches everything from digital, print, podcast and documentary, including mainstream sources and under-the-radar delights, spanning current events to historical references, academia and science to pop culture and subculture, across political spectra and world-views, from TikTok to TED Talks, and beyond. Our curation universe is as infinite as the Internet and knowledge itself.
You’ll collaborate closely with our VP of Content and Community, our Head of Product, and our founders to ensure that MTTR is always living up to its mission and serving its community. You’ll be leaned on for your editorial prowess, your executional ability, and your inspiring leadership.
- Help craft our unique editorial approach and methodology such that we are always opening our audience’s apertures to new ways of thinking and relating to each other
- Build and manage a core team of curators, journalists and culture makers from various backgrounds and disciplines
- Diversify our editorial bench with a mix of voices that bring more nuance and perspective to a topic
- Identifying key themes and subtopics for our Collections
- Write compelling pitches and hunches
- Lead ideological and creative explorations
- Craft narratives and provocations
- Work with curators to ensure each piece is on-strategy, provocative and irresistible
- Find unexpected voices in the media landscape
- Contribute as a curator when and where needed
- Serve as a key voice in recruitment of editorial team
- Attract guest curators and other experts to the MTTR family
- Host panel discussions and events anchored in our Collection themes
- A minimum of 8 years of experience, preferably in a newsroom working on breaking news
- B.A. in related field
- Published clips, a newsletter, a developed social media (instagram) account where we can see your editorial voice and curatorial eye
- Entrepreneurial in spirit and energy
- Go out of your way to burst your filter bubble
- Interactive, not reactive (a sense of humor helps!)
- Relentless in pursuit of highest quality output
- Excited to completely reinvent the way we consume content, build communities and engage with one another
You have these:
- Understand the dynamics of the media and tech environment today
- Glued to news, culture and trends — but always with a critical eye
- Able to quickly get to the heart of the things that most polarize our society
- See how those things ^^ connect to universal themes that unite us all
- Quickly pick up and excel at the MTTR Tone of Voice
- Succinct, compelling writer and editor
- Can-do attitude
- Audience-focused mindset
- Management experience
We’d love if you also had these:
- Appreciation of history
- Love of pop culture
- Super human Zoom and Slack stamina
- PTO/vacation: We want to ensure that all of our staff have the best conditions to excel at their job, so you are not set an amount of paid vacation time each year. Instead, you are permitted to use discretion in achieving an appropriate work/life balance, to take time off for travel, relaxation, and rejuvenation, as needed and as consistent with the satisfaction of all professional obligations to the organization.
- Benefits: We also offer comprehensive health insurance to our employees, as well as a suite of of perks and other programs.
FINALLY, we can’t achieve our mission unless we have a diverse team. This encompasses all of the unique characteristics that make us human: race, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, education, political affiliation — and those are just a few. We recognize that diverse backgrounds and perspectives strengthen our teams and our product. The through-line is always a shared sense of purpose and a commitment to values like honesty, tolerance, and empathy.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer and consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, veteran status, medical condition or disability.