Director of Finance (US & Global Funding)
We’re not your ordinary NGO. We’re a small group in the US, but 9,000 team members strong across 37 countries in Africa, Asia, and Latin America. Midwives, nurses, doctors, outreach teams, fundraisers, supply chain managers and more who all share one common characteristic: a commitment to choice and a willingness to overcome every obstacle to reach the people who are counting on us for lifesaving reproductive healthcare.
Everything we do is steeped in data and our impact is measured and impressive. In 2022, we made it possible for 21.1 million clients to access contraception, safe abortion, or post-abortion care services. That year, we prevented 14.6 million unintended pregnancies, 7.2 million unsafe abortions, and 42,600 maternal deaths.
But at this critical turning point in global reproductive rights, there’s so much more to do. We’re looking to build out our dream team to take on our ambitious US strategy.
If you want to be inspired and feel great about what you do, let’s talk.
We are seeking a highly experienced and strategic Director of Finance to support the finance function of MSI US and the strategic plan of MSI Reproductive Choices. Duties include financial business planning, month-end and year-end processing, financial reporting, external and internal audits, accounting, and compliance. This role will also provide financial support, reporting, and analysis for our Global Funding Department, comprised of MSI US and three other international teams focused on fundraising, stewardship, and external relations.
The ideal candidate will have a strong background in financial management, excellent leadership skills, and a deep understanding of nonprofit accounting principles and statutory compliance.
MSI US’ home offices are in Washington, DC and we have a preference for a candidate who could come into the DC offices two to three days a week. If you are a hands-on, results-driven finance professional with a passion for reproductive health and rights, we encourage you to apply.
This role will report to the President MSI US and will also have a reporting line to MSI’s Chief Finance Office in London. They will work closely and collaboratively with GSO Finance colleagues and will attend global finance meetings.
- Financial Business Planning:
- Lead the financial business planning process, including the annual budgeting, reforecasting, and long-term financial planning of the MSI-US office.
- Collaborate with the US executive team and Global Funding team leaders to develop budgets & financial plans (income and expenditure) that align with organizational and departmental goals and strategic objectives.
- Prepare monthly financial reports and analysis for the President, MSI-US and VP Partnerships & Philanthropy. Act as their lead business partner in ensuring strong financial and business management, including a continued effort to drive maximum cost efficiencies.
- Prepare periodic financial reports for the MSI US Board of Directors, providing timely and accurate financial information for decision-making. Present financial updates and recommendations to the Board as needed.
- Work in support of the Chief Finance Officer (Based in London) in providing financial reports on global fundraising performance – presented with analysis on trends, and potential risks,
- Compliance and Policies: Internal and External Audits
- Ensure compliance with all financial and regulatory requirements, including GAAP, IRS regulations, and local laws. Stay updated on changes in accounting and reporting standards, providing guidance and recommendations for adherence.
- Develop and maintain financial policies and procedures, ensuring consistency, accuracy, and compliance with organizational policy. Regularly review and update policies to align with best practices and changing organizational needs.
- Address and resolve any identified internal or external audit findings. Coordinate with organizational internal auditor.
- Manage the annual external audit process, serving as the main point of contact for independent auditing firm. Coordinate audit fieldwork, ensuring compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and other regulatory requirements. Review and analyze audit findings, providing recommendations for process improvements and corrective actions.
- Oversee the preparation and filing of the annual Form 990 and other required financial reports, ensuring accuracy and compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- US Accounting, Month-End Duties, Payments and Wires, Payroll:
- Supervise financial team including our Financial Analyst and Accountant, ensuring accurate and timely completion of month-end close processes, including general ledger reconciliations, journal entries, and financial statement preparation.
- Oversee the management of accounts payable and accounts receivable functions, ensuring the accurate and timely processing of payments, invoices, and wire transfers.
- Oversee payroll processing and ensure compliance with tax withholding and reporting requirements. Collaborate with the HR team to manage payroll administration.
- Global Funding Department Business Partner:
- Serve as a financial business partner to the Global Funding Department, providing financial analysis, insights, and recommendations to support funding proposals, donor reporting, and strategic decision-making.
- Collaborate with programmatic and development teams to develop and review project budgets, ensuring financial viability and alignment with donor requirements.
- Provide financial guidance and support to the Global Funding Department, assisting in the development and implementation of financial strategies and processes to optimize funding opportunities.
- Provide ad hoc financial support as needed to the President of MSI US
- Minimum of eight to ten (8-10) years’ experience in a financial management role for a 501(c)3 organization.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, or a related field. CPA designation preferred.
- Proven experience in financial management, preferably in the nonprofit sector, with a strong understanding of nonprofit accounting principles, budgeting, and financial analysis.
- Experience managing external audits and preparing financial statements and reports, including Form 990.
- Strong knowledge of accounting software and financial management systems. Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and financial modeling.
- Experience in leading and developing a high-performing team, with excellent leadership and people management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze complex financial data, identify trends, and provide strategic insights and recommendations.
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational and problem-solving skills. Ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, with the ability to effectively communicate financial information to both financial and non-financial stakeholders.
- Knowledge of donor compliance and reporting requirements is desirable.
- Commitment to the mission and values of MSI Reproductive Choices and MSI US, including a deep respect for reproductive health and rights.
- Experience working with global and/or multinational organizations is preferred.
You will receive an excellent package of benefits that is second to none in the marketplace today. Beyond being very competitive in our salaries in any of the markets where we have team members, we offer 100% employer paid medical & life insurance benefits, paid medical and parental leave, and a five percent employer contribution to a 403(b) retirement plan - with no matching requirements on your part. We believe in work-life balance and personal + professional growth opportunities, and you will start with 5 weeks of annual leave to enjoy and pursue them!
We provide equal opportunities to all persons without discrimination in all aspects of employment, including recruiting new team members. We are committed to act fairly and prevent discrimination on the basis of sex, race, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, beliefs or any other irrelevant factor.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.