VFX Supervisor (Speculative Application)
- Adelaide SA, Australia
Mill Film builds inclusion and diversity into the foundation of the studio. We believe that inclusion and diversity are the solution to delivering excellence in creative VFX for our clients. We foster a culture of respectful candor, where artists, production and technologists come together to build a talent community devoted to realizing industry leading VFX solutions for feature and episodic content for major Studios.
Reporting to the Executive Producer the VFX Supervisor is responsible for the overall creative and technical direction of projects at Mill Film. As the key point of contact with the creative leads on the production and with the client, the VFX Supervisor is the point person for deciding internal tasking on shots, and conducting efficient review of artist’s work on shots, and solely responsible for internal sign off on ‘final’ shots.
This is an exciting and challenging role that requires you to leverage your strong creative ability, coach, mentor and grow junior artists. You are able to lead a team but also take direction. You have a keen sense for leveraging resources and draw out time and time again high-quality shots from your team. You champion diversity, are deliberate in inclusiveness and culturally competent.
Mill Film has a legacy which includes an Academy Award for Visual Effects, we set the creative bar high and work hard to deliver creative excellence alongside building inclusion and diversity into the fabric of our studio.
- Design and implement the creative direction of each project shot and sequence
- Set creative standards for Mill Film and ensure timely delivery.
- Responsible for on-location/set VFX supervision
- Work closely with clients to ensure their vision is met, constantly improving upon their briefs
- Create and design digital visual effects of a technical standard and appropriate for our clients that is in line with current industry standards.
- Take responsibility in conjunction with the Head of Creative Operations and Executive VFX Producer for bidding and the financial running of projects.
- Work closely with the VFX Producer to ensure an accurate production schedule is setup and maintained.
- Maintain and nurture Mill Film's relationships with existing and potential clients
- Work closely with all departments on pipeline improvement and development.
- Work out element, technical and R&D requirements for each project/show.
- Daily review of assets and work in progress.
- Show expertise in setting up complex pipelines
- Play an active role in shot production and lead teams by example
- Experience in Visual Effects including recent supervision experience, both facility based and on-location.
- Experience of working to tight budgets and timelines within a production schedule.
- Excellent leadership, communication and problem solving skills.
- Solid knowledge of VFX/CGI shot production and its iteration process.
- Strong creative and technical skills in photorealistic 3D animation and competency in all other areas of 3D including modeling, texturing, lighting, effects animation and rendering.
- Must have extensive experience with blue/greenscreen compositing as well as integration of 3D elements into plates.
- Thorough understanding of color theory and film application for live-action film/TV, including filmstock, filmgrain, colorspace and lookup tables, film processing and DI processing.
- A good understanding of in Nuke, Maya, Houdini and Renderman.
- Self-motivated to develop and drive creative/VFX projects/shows with a specific pro-active approach to solving problems, improving workflows and producing high quality creative work.
- Ability to forward plan and continually critically asses own performance and that of the facility/project/show.
- Demonstrates the ability to be flexible and work around other department/client pressures and deadlines, with proven involvement of contributing and improving the client experience within a facility.
- Excellent prioritisation skills to manage resources and deadlines.
- Clear focus on high quality.
- Communicate effectively at all levels with the ability to tailor messages to audience
- Challenges with tact and demonstrates the ability to influence key members of staff and clients.
- Proven experience in the ability to engage with key stakeholders, staff, clients and senior technologists to implement new processes and practices.
- Ability to work calmly and efficiently under pressure.
- Excellent client facing skills.
Mill Film builds inclusion and diversity into the foundation of the studio. We believe that inclusion and diversityare the solution to delivering excellence in creative VFX for our clients. We foster a culture of respectful candor, where artists, production and technologists come together to build a talent community devoted to realizing industry leading VFX solutions for feature and episodic content for major Studios.