Tech Anim Artist
- Adelaide SA, Australia
Mill Film is a newly launched visual effects studio with locations in Adelaide - Australia, Bangalore - India and Montreal - Canada, working on VFX for feature films and episodic content. With talent diversity and equality at the heart of Mill Film’s culture, we want to inspire the next generation of visual effects artists, to create a dynamic pool of talent and work with the latest technologies on ground-breaking productions.
Tech Anim Artists are responsible for fur and cloth simulation and finaling of creature and prop animation, using a variety of software as well as self-created scripts and tools. Tech Anim artists are required to troubleshoot complex animation and simulation issues and provide solutions and efficiencies. Our goal is to add complex details into creature animation performance to take them to the next level of realism.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Creating and managing complex fur and cloth simulations on a per shot level
- Troubleshooting technical issues with rigs, cloth and fur setups
- Time-based sculpting and deformation fixes for improved realism
- Using scripting know-how to make tasks more efficient where possible
- Working within a team production environment and taking ownership of assigned tasks
- Strong knowledge of Maya, Houdini & Python
- Experience with cloth solvers – Houdini Cloth (Preferred), Maya nCloth, etc.
- Experience with hair solvers - Houdini (Preferred) and Maya (Yeti, xGen, nHair etc.)
- Knowledge of techniques using Maya sculpting tools and deformers
- Understanding of anatomy and form in motion.
- Familiarisation with Animation tools in Maya
- Both team and independent problem-solving skills
- Ability to work both independently and within a team environment
Mill Film builds inclusion and diversity into the foundation of the studio. We believe that inclusion and diversity are the solution to delivering excellence in creative VFX for our clients. We foster a culture of respectful candour, where artists, production and technologists come together to build a talent community devoted to realising industry leading VFX solutions for feature and episodic content for major Studios.
Whilst we may not have a suitable vacancy within our Technical Animation team at the time you apply we will ensure that we keep in touch for future opportunities. If we do have a position we think would interest you then we will be in touch really soon!