CG Supervisor - Montreal
- Montreal, QC, Canada
Mill Film is a newly launched visual effects studio with locations in Adelaide, Australia, Bangalore, India and Montreal, Canada, working on VFX for feature films and episodic content. With talent diversity and equality at the heart of Mill Film’s culture, we want to inspire the next generation of visual effects artists, to create a dynamic pool of talent and work with the latest technologies on ground breaking productions.
Reporting to the Head of Creative Operations, the CG Supervisor works closely with the VFX Supervisor to identify potential strategies, assess technical options and evaluate production schedules. The CG Supervisor participates as a leader and hands-on contributor through all stages of 3D Pre and Post Production.
This is an exciting and challenging role that requires you to leverage your strong creative ability, coach, mentor and grow junior artists. You are able to lead a team but also take direction. You have a keen sense for leveraging resources and draw out time and time again high-quality shots from your team. You champion diversity, are deliberate in inclusiveness and culturally competent.
Mill Film has a legacy which includes an Academy Award for Visual Effects, we set the creative bar high and work hard to deliver creative excellence alongside building inclusion and diversity into the fabric of our studio.
· Work with the VFX Supervisor, Leads and Heads of Departments to define the creative and technical approach for the show
· Work with Production to manage the day to day running of the team and to evaluate artist schedules ensuring they are realistic and achievable
· Attend desk rounds with all members of the team on a regular basis
· Attend dailies sessions with the team to give feedback/approvals
· Meet with the show Leads on a regular basis to identify inefficiencies or technical problems with the toolset and pipeline, and put in place a plan of action to resolve such issues
· Ensure that all work carried out on the show fits within Mill Film’s pipeline where possible
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
· Technical Knowledge/Skills:
· Strong working knowledge of 3D software packages and pipelines
· Knowledge of the entire production process, including stage shooting is preferred
4-5 years of CG leadership experience using Maya and Renderman on live-action commercial or feature film productions
· Desire to learn from others and to take on increasingly challenging work
· Excellent communication and problem-solving skills
· Team approach and the ability to take direction
· Ability to successfully delegate and manage projects
· Ability to understand client approval process
· Strong sense of team dynamics and a positive morale generating style
· Able to manage a time-sensitive workload with an urgent and extremely organized manner
· Highly adaptable with the strong ability to work successfully under pressure
· Strong creative ability and flair
· Ability to mentor and provide feedback to junior employees
· Inclusive and culturally aware and competent
Mill Film builds inclusion and diversity into the foundation of the studio. We believe that inclusion and diversity are the solution to delivering excellence in creative VFX for our clients. We foster a culture of respectful candor, where artists, production and technologists come together to build a talent community devoted to realizing industry leading VFX solutions for feature and episodic content for major Studios.