Lead Software Developer (Maternity Leave Replacement)
- Vancouver, BC, Canada
With offices all over the globe, the Moving Picture Company (MPC) is one of the world's leading visual effects studios, creating high-end VFX for the advertising and feature film industries.
Our status as a world-class visual effects facility has been achieved through the development of industry-leading software, which empowers our artists to create stunning visual effects. MPC has a rich history of technical innovation. We recognise that it’s the partnership of leading creativity and technology that delivers spectacular results. We are committed to technology in service of creativity and are constantly exploring new approaches to deliver higher quality. We have a talented team and many of the leading technologists in the industry started their careers at MPC.
Our Software team combines award winning, third party software with our own tools and technologies to create powerful and innovative solutions to the most challenging visual effects requirements. Our developers create software, which addresses the needs of clients in today’s constantly evolving visual effects environment.
**You can see the result of our software being put through it’s paces as part of our stunning film showreel containing work completed in 2017 - the link’s at the end of this page**
We are hiring a Lead Software Developer to provide interim technical direction and guidance for the New Technology group in Vancouver, covering for a maternity break. We are looking for a candidate with a proven grasp of VFX processes and pipeline as well as an imaginative view of the future. The role will be responsible for rapidly prototyping and validating bleeding-edge research and technology offerings, garnering customer excitement and providing insight to kick-start the development of future MPC software products.
New Technology was launched within MPC in 2017, to provide a space for particularly speculative VFX Software development opportunities. We explore how VFX artists will work in the future, leveraging partnerships with MPC's other Software teams, academic and industrial researchers, and vendors of VFX technology. We present our work both internally and externally, demonstrating MPC's commitment to being an innovation leader.
- Work with a local team as well as remote members, including the Head of New Technology in London
- Work with and mentor more junior members of the team to help resolve issues and solve problems.
- Identify new opportunities for rapid R&D
- Design and prototype cutting edge tools and technologies.
- Build relationships with department heads, supervisors and other visionaries.
Skills and Experience
- At least 5-8 years of experience in a VFX facility (or equivalent industry).
- Experience leading a team and experience of being responsible for delivering large projects successfully.
- Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a similar field.
- Strong understanding of computer graphics, mathematics, and physics/simulation.
- Advanced knowledge of C++ and Python. Lua and other languages a bonus.
- Expert with Linux operating system and developing on this platform.
- Advanced knowledge of key VFX application APIs - Maya, Katana, Houdini and/or Nuke.
- Experience using development best practices.
- Highly committed, passionate and able to lead and inspire a team.
- Positive attitude towards learning about technology and the industry, sharing and mentoring.
- Loves puzzles and open-ended problem solving, particularly when faced with new APIs/tools.
- Confident presenter, able to switch between technical and non-technical audiences with ease.
- Well organized, with an excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to remain calm in a fast-paced and rapidly-changing environment.
This is an exciting opportunity to work in the dynamic world of visual effects. If you are an ambitious software developer looking for an opportunity to work with cutting edge technology then we look forward to your application.
If you’re still not quite sure and would like more information or to just ask someone about life as a technologists at MPC, then please do not hesitate to get in touch! We want to be able to answer all your questions to ensure you are fully engaged and informed on the opportunity you are applying for. Please direct your questions to our Global Head of Technology Recruitment, Satveer Aujla https://www.linkedin.com/in/satveeraujla/ and he will get back you!
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.