Lead Software Developer (Maternity Leave Replacement)
- Vancouver, BC, Canada
With offices all over the globe, MPC is one of the world's leading visual effects studios, creating high-end VFX for the advertising and feature film industries. We are constantly looking for the best talent in the world, enthusiastic people that come to work every day with the desire to be a part of some of the best work in the industry.
Our teams in Montreal, and throughout our global network of studios, produce creative, visually stunning and technically challenging VFX and digital projects of the highest quality, and we are looking for candidates with a desire to be involved in the success of these projects.
We are hiring a Lead Software Developer to provide interim technical direction and guidance for the New Technology group in Vancouver, covering for a maternity break. We are looking for a candidate with a proven grasp of VFX processes and pipeline as well as an imaginative view of the future. The role will be responsible for rapidly prototyping and validating bleeding-edge research and technology offerings, garnering customer excitement and providing insight to kick-start the development of future MPC software products.
New Technology was launched within MPC in 2017, to provide a space for particularly speculative VFX Software development opportunities. We explore how VFX artists will work in the future, leveraging partnerships with MPC's other Software teams, academic and industrial researchers, and vendors of VFX technology. We present our work both internally and externally, demonstrating MPC's commitment to being an innovation leader.
- Work with a local team as well as remote members, including the Head of New Technology in London
- Work with and mentor more junior members of the team to help resolve issues and solve problems.
- Identify new opportunities for rapid R&D
- Design and prototype cutting edge tools and technologies.
- Build relationships with department heads, supervisors and other visionaries.
Skills and Experience
- At least 5-8 years of experience in a VFX facility (or equivalent industry).
- Experience leading a team and experience of being responsible for delivering large projects successfully.
- Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a similar field.
- Strong understanding of computer graphics, mathematics, and physics/simulation.
- Advanced knowledge of C++ and Python. Lua and other languages a bonus.
- Expert with Linux operating system and developing on this platform.
- Advanced knowledge of key VFX application APIs - Maya, Katana, Houdini and/or Nuke.
- Experience using development best practices.
- Highly committed, passionate and able to lead and inspire a team.
- Positive attitude towards learning about technology and the industry, sharing and mentoring.
- Loves puzzles and open-ended problem solving, particularly when faced with new APIs/tools.
- Confident presenter, able to switch between technical and non-technical audiences with ease.
- Well organized, with an excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to remain calm in a fast-paced and rapidly-changing environment.
This is an exciting opportunity to work in the dynamic world of visual effects. If you are an ambitious software developer looking for an opportunity to work with cutting edge technology then we look forward to your application.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.