Media Systems Engineer
- London, United Kingdom
With offices all over the globe, the Moving Picture Company (MPC) is one of the world's leading visual effects studios, creating high-end VFX for the advertising and feature film industries.
We are constantly looking for the best talent in the world, enthusiastic people that come in everyday to be a part of some of the best work in the industry. Our teams in London, and throughout our global network of studios, produce creative, visually stunning and technically challenging VFX and digital projects of the highest quality, and we are looking for candidates with a desire to be involved in the success of these projects.
Technology is at the heart of the company. The Media Systems Engineer is part of the London Technology team. This is a technical position focused on those areas where we interact directly with our clients: high end screening rooms, editorial, on-set supervision, VR, remote viewing and communication systems among others. It‘s an exciting role working with a wide range of cutting-edge technologies and involving contact with some of the biggest names in the movie industry.
The engineer is required to assist the head of technology with the planning, designing, procurement and implementation of media technology systems.
- Installation, maintenance and troubleshooting of equipment associated with various technical and operational departments
- Frontline maintenance and troubleshooting of all post production related equipment including professional and consumer grade AV equipment, editorial systems, digital cinema projectors, monitors, video conference systems, AV control systems, motion capture stage, video cameras, video/audio routers, theater control systems etc.
- Maintenance and calibration of Digital Cinema DLP projectors
- Creating and maintain documentation to be shared globally between all MPC Film sites
- Ensuring common working practices and standards across all MPC sites involving occasional international travel
- Perform hardware, firmware and software upgrades
- Provide basic technical training to staff as required
- Ensure assigned projects are delivered on time, within budget and to the agreed standard of quality and functionality
- Efficient workflow and pipeline design for post-production services
- Liaise with IT engineers to maximize system performance and reliability
- Perform programming database modifications to video and KVM routing systems
- Prepare written reports and presentations for management
- Create and update control system for automation systems
- Participate in off-hours maintenance, upgrades and installation for systems when required
- Work to ensure best security practices are met and maintained
- Conduct research and evaluate new technology and trends to assess their impact on current and future workflows
The ideal candidate is:
- A natural problem solver, you know how to combine different products to create innovative solutions to problems
- Has an eye for quality and detail, you understand the value of standards and processes but balance that with the need to be pragmatic and flexible
- You’re organised, everything has its place, cabling must be to standard and temporary installs make you feel uneasy
- Excellent communication skills, you know how to earn people’s trust and you can explain complex technical problems in layman’s terms
- Someone who can work as part of a team and is excited at the prospect of drawing on MPC’s considerable technical resources across multiple locations
- You are not afraid to get your hands dirty and no task is too menial if it means getting production back on track
- You’re the kind of person that keeps a cool head in high pressure situations
- Advanced understanding of and experience with Linux, OS X and Windows operating systems
- 3+ years installation and maintenance experience in post-production facilities with complex audio/video systems
- Up-to-Date knowledge and a passion for technology relating to media and post-production
- Solid understanding and practical experience of various media file formats, compression schemes and wrappers.
- Familiarity with AV networking streaming technology
- Ability to identify and address technical issues without direct supervision, while also working effectively as part of a team
- Basic color theory knowledge including a understanding of REC709/DCI color space, gamma encoding, color sub sampling etc.
- Knowledge and experience with various file formats used in post-production including EXR, DPX, TIFF, JPEG2000, H.264, DNX, HEVC, PRORES etc.
- Communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical staff
- Identify and resolve problems in a timely manner
This is an exciting opportunity to work in the dynamic world of visual effects. If you are an ambitious and organised person looking for an opportunity to work with cutting edge technology then we look forward to your application.