Software Developer - Rendering
- Montreal, Canada
With offices all over the globe, MPC is one of the world's leading visual effects (VFX) studios, creating award winning, high-end VFX for the film industry.
We are constantly looking for the best talent in the world, enthusiastic people that come in everyday to be a part of some of the best work in the industry.
Our teams throughout our global network of studios, produce creative, visually stunning and technically challenging VFX and digital projects of the highest quality, and we are looking for candidates with a desire to be involved in the success of these projects.
We are hiring a Software Developer with a specific focus on rendering technology and support for our visual effects toolset in our software team. Capable of delivering award-winning technical solutions to creative challenges we are looking for someone able contribute directly to the success and timely delivery of some of the most technically challenging and widely recognized movies in production.
To work hand-in-hand with our artists, providing the tools and technologies used to create the stunning imagery for our films. It is a highly dynamic environment, which requires a cool head, creative thinking and pragmatic problem solving. The team needs people who are able to take initiative, develop software of the highest quality, and think beyond the scope of each development task - our environment thrives on the ability to communicate complex problems in a simple form to team members, stakeholders and all the way through to users of the system.
We require our developers to support the full life cycle of our software projects from design to maintenance, while constantly improving the software to address new challenges!
We are looking for a software developer with an excellent grasp of VFX processes and pipeline specifically in the domain of lighting and rendering development and support.
- Work with a global team to ensure that our shading, rendering and lighting tools are well supported and efficiently utilized in production.
- Work with members of the team to help resolve issues and solve problems during the development of our rendering tools.
- Communication of tasks, challenges and workflows across a globally distributed team.
- Contribute technical and user facing documentation.
- Work with teams cross site in the development of pipeline tools for a multisite studio.
Skills and Experience
- At least 2 years of experience in a VFX facility (or equivalent industry).
- Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a Technical Animation Degree.
- Strong understanding of computer graphics, mathematics, modern light transport algorithms including unidirectional path tracing with multiple importance sampling. Bidirectional path tracing is a plus.
- Knowledge of RenderMan's Shading Language or equivalence.
- Competency with Linux operating system and developing on this platform.
- Knowledge of key VFX application APIs - Specifcally Katana and PRMan.
- Experience using development best practices.
- Experience designing simple UX for complex back end functionality.
- Highly committed and able to work independently and as a team.
- Positive attitude towards learning.
- Extremely organized with good communication skills and an excellent attention to detail.
- Deadline orientated and ability to remain calm in a fast-paced and highly pressure environment.