Software Developer - Senior
- Vancouver, Canada
With offices all over the globe, the Moving Picture Company (MPC) is one of the world's leading visual effects studios, creating high-end VFX for the advertising and feature film industries. Developing new visual effects techniques and creating cutting edge productivity tools is vital to MPC’s continued success. Working primarily with our Software Department we are currently seeking a Senior Software Developer to join our team.
We are hiring a Senior Software Developer for our visual effects toolset in our [CHOOSE A SITE]-based software team. Capable of delivering award-winning technical solutions to creative challenges we
are looking for someone able to contribute directly to the success and timely delivery of some of the most technically challenging and widely recognized movies in production.
To work hand-in-hand with our artists, providing the tools and technologies used to create the stunning imagery for our films. It is a highly dynamic environment, which requires a cool head, creative thinking and pragmatic problem solving. The team needs people who are able to take initiative, develop software of the highest quality, and think beyond the scope of each development task - our environment thrives on the ability to communicate complex problems in a simple form to team members, stakeholders and all
the way through to users of the system. We require our developers to support the full life cycle of our software projects from design to maintenance, while constantly improving the software to address new
We are looking for a software developer with an excellent grasp of VFX processes and pipeline. The role will be responsible for the further improvement of our software tools and technologies including our flagship tools such as Alice, Kali, Furtility, Volumetrics tools and more.
- Work with Lead to ensure that implementations are consistent with overall Software department strategy.
- Work with and mentor more junior members of the team to help resolve issues and solve problems.
- Communicate tasks, challenges and workflows across a globally distributed team.
- Design and architect cutting edge tools and technologies while maintaining existing stack.
- Contribute technical and user facing documentation.
- Build relationships with key artists and production staff.
- Work with teams cross site in the development of pipeline tools for a multisite studio
Skills and Experience
- At least 5-8 years of experience in a VFX facility (or equivalent industry).
- Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a Technical Animation Degree.
- Strong understanding of computer graphics, mathematics, and physics/simulation.
- Advanced knowledge of C++ and Python. Fabric’s KL and Lua a bonus.
- Expert with Linux operating system and developing on this platform.
- Advanced knowledge of key VFX application APIs - Maya, Katana, Houdini and/or Nuke.
- Experience with Fabric Engine a plus.
- Experience using development best practices.
- Experience designing simple UX for complex back end functionality.
- Experience with asset management APIs and dependency handling.
- Highly committed and able to work independently and as a team.
- Positive attitude towards learning, sharing and mentoring.
- Extremely organized with good communication skills and an excellent attention to detail.
- Deadline orientated and ability to remain calm in a fast-paced and highly pressure environment.
This is an exciting opportunity to work in the dynamic world of visual effects. If you are an ambitious software developer looking for an opportunity to work with cutting edge technology then we look forward to your application.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.