- Montreal, Canada
With offices all over the globe, the Moving Picture Company (MPC) is one of the world's leading visual effects (VFX) studios, creating high-end VFX for the advertising and feature film industries.
The Trainer role involves working with new recruits fresh from University as part of our MPC Academy. Your job will be to prepare them to work on shots in production with both the technical and artistic skills necessary and an understanding of the processes and culture of MPC.
Key to this role is to be an expert learner yourself, and to be able to take complex information and make it simple and easy to understand, using a variety of educational techniques. Candidates should have a love of teaching and learning and great enthusiasm for visual effects.
To be successful means you will have prepared your students to work in a production environment within the limited time frame allowed.
The following tasks provide a general overview of the types of activity the role holder will be expected to engage in on a day-to-day basis. The tasks are not intended to be an exhaustive list of responsibilities as the nature of our business requires all employees to be flexible, self-motivated and to think creatively when presented with challenges.
- Present lectures on technical topics in an open, upbeat, engaging manner.
- Guide and coach students in creating quality work.
- Challenge and encourage students to do better.
- Learn the MPC tools, procedures and implementations quickly and stay updated.
- Communicate effectively and proactively with partner departments, including compositing and recruiting.
- Create and improve on documentation and written tutorials.
- Create and edit video tutorials with an emphasis on brevity, clarity and zero errors.
- Work with partners in production departments to coach and support them in the creation of educational materials – such as tutorials, documentation, and project files.
- Create and structure curriculum to effectively meet the needs of students and production and adjust it with changing parameters on the fly.
- Run dailies and provide feedback and reviews.
- Assess whether the students are meeting targets, work with them to improve, and provide feedback about their success to the head of department (HOD).
- Review success of students after each round with all partners, enhance successes and address failures.
- Is an excellent educator, who loves teaching and gains satisfaction by helping others succeed.
- Is an expert in Nuke with at least three years of production experience in compositing for film.
- Has experience teaching in the classroom.
- Has experience creating documentation, and both written and video tutorials.
- Is an excellent communicator, both written and spoken.
- Is able to work independently within an organization to get information proactively.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.