Financial Reporting Intern
At Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Partnership (MLSE), we are committed to creating an inclusive workplace that is representative of our community and where all employees feel they belong and can reach their full potential. We are Canada’s preeminent leader in delivering top quality sport and entertainment experiences and one of North America’s leading providers of exceptional fan experiences. We are the parent company of the National Hockey League’s Toronto Maple Leafs, the National Basketball Association’s Toronto Raptors, Major League Soccer’s Toronto FC, the Canadian Football League’s Toronto Argonauts and development teams with the Toronto Marlies (American Hockey League), Raptors 905 (NBA G League), Toronto FC II (MLS NEXT Pro League) and Raptors Uprising Gaming Club, the Toronto Raptors Esports franchise in the NBA 2K League.
MLSE owns and/or operates all the venues our teams play and train in, including Scotiabank Arena, BMO Field, Coca-Cola Coliseum, Ford Performance Centre, BMO Training Ground, and OVO Athletic Centre. We also provide fans in Toronto with incredible live music and entertainment events, as well as exceptional culinary experiences through our restaurants (e11even and RS) and clubs (Hot Stove Club, ScotiaClub and Platinum Club). Through MLSE Foundation, we have invested more than $45 million into Ontario communities since 2009 and with MLSE LaunchPad, we provide a place where youth facing barriers use sport to recognize and reach their potential.
We achieve all of this through our Common Purpose - to unite and empower our employees to create extraordinary moments for our fans and each other. Come be a part of the team.
As part of the MLSE finance team, you will have the unique opportunity to gain hands-on experience in developing technical accounting skills as part of a leading Sports & Entertainment Company by assisting and coordinating a broad range of financial reporting functions and developing communication skills by liaising with other finance team members and cross-functional business divisions.
MLSE’s Internship term dates are from May 8th, 2023 - September 1st, 2023
- Assist in the preparation of consolidated and non-consolidated P&L and balance sheet information, including preparing relevant supporting schedules, with guidance from the wider Financial Reporting team
- Assist in the preparation of monthly and quarterly internal financial reporting packages presented to senior management
- Perform monthly calculations and reconciliations for key accounts
- Assist with accounting research, issue resolution and disclosure implications of significant transactions, including technical position papers in accordance with IFRS
- Assist in the preparation of variance analysis comparing actual results to plan and forecast
- Assist in the preparation of various Statistics Canada surveys
- Participate in special projects as needed
Note: Before reviewing the qualifications listed below, we want you to know that we understand you may not meet all the qualifications described and have other relevant expertise and experience. We invite you to please share this with us in the "Message to the Hiring Manager" section of our online application.
- You are working towards the completion of an undergraduate degree and pre-requisites for entry into the CPA Professional Education Program. You also have the intention to pursue a CPA designation.
- You have strong analytical skills and the ability to analyze and interpret data
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suites (Excel, PowerPoint, and Word) – candidates with demonstrated skill at Excel (performing VLOOKUP’s, pivot tables, and other data cleaning abilities) considered an asset
- You demonstrate initiative and can work independently and as part of a team
- You have strong interpersonal and communication (written and verbal) skills
- You can build and maintain effective working relationships with other departments
- You possess outstanding organization skills with the ability to independently manage your time and coordinate multiple work activities and inputs
- You love learning and constantly applying new skills to unfamiliar tasks
Apply by: February 7, 2023
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
At MLSE, we are committed to building an equitable, diverse and inclusive organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. MLSE will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities in the job application process. If you have difficulty using our online application system and you need an accommodation due to a disability, please email [email protected] Please note this email is only for accommodation requests. Resumes sent to this email address will not be considered.