Director, Business Planning & Insights
- 50 Bay St., Toronto, ON M5J 3A5, Canada
At Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Partnership (MLSE), we are committed to creating an inclusive workplace that is representative of our community and where all employees feel they belong and can reach their full potential. We are Canada’s preeminent leader in delivering top quality sport and entertainment experiences and one of North America’s leading providers of exceptional fan experiences. We are the parent company of the National Hockey League’s Toronto Maple Leafs, the National Basketball Association’s Toronto Raptors, Major League Soccer’s Toronto FC, the Canadian Football League’s Toronto Argonauts and development teams with the Toronto Marlies (American Hockey League), Raptors 905 (NBA G League), Toronto FC II (MLS NEXT Pro League) and Raptors Uprising Gaming Club, the Toronto Raptors Esports franchise in the NBA 2K League.
MLSE owns and/or operates all the venues our teams play and train in, including Scotiabank Arena, BMO Field, Coca-Cola Coliseum, Ford Performance Centre, BMO Training Ground, and OVO Athletic Centre. We also provide fans in Toronto with incredible live music and entertainment events, as well as exceptional culinary experiences through our restaurants (e11even and RS) and clubs (Hot Stove Club, ScotiaClub and Platinum Club). Through MLSE Foundation, we have invested more than $45 million into Ontario communities since 2009 and with MLSE LaunchPad, we provide a place where youth facing barriers use sport to recognize and reach their potential.
We achieve all of this through our Common Purpose - to unite and empower our employees to create extraordinary moments for our fans and each other. Come be a part of the team.
MLSE is looking for a strategic leader with a passion for sports, partnerships and culture to join our Global Partnerships (GP) group. The role will span across all MLSE teams – Maple Leafs, Marlies, Raptors, Raptors 905 Toronto FC, TFC II, Argonauts and Raptors Uprising and venues – Scotiabank Arena, BMO Field and Coca-Cola Coliseum. Reporting to the SVP, Global Partnerships, you will lead a team responsible for Data & Insights, Financial Planning and Reporting within our Partnership group. In this role, you will work collaboratively with the Partnership Strategy/Development and Partnership Marketing/Media teams responsible for supporting the delivery of our annual revenue plan. Your focus will be to uncover opportunities to optimize the efficiency and effectiveness of our group, deliver insights and assets that inform our go-to-market strategy, provide oversight of our department financials, including reporting to key partners, as well as drive incremental revenue through maximizing assets in new and renewed partnerships.
Business Planning & Operations
- Manage the department P&L, providing ongoing tracking, reports and analysis for all stakeholders including Leagues, Executive Leadership Team (ELT) and Board of Directors (BOD)Lead the annual fiscal and strategic plan process for GP working collaboratively across the department and organization
- Optimize inventory management and yield maximization
- Provide change management leadership for major departmental initiatives including leading team through process improvements and process mapping to drive efficiencies
- Develop the team who leads the design and creation of internal and external sales materials and presentations
- Review and implement technology solutions, managing partner, supplier, and vendor relationships
Data & Insights
- Coordinate all aspects of Data & Insights for Global Partnerships team to identify data gaps, develop hypotheses, and gain a comprehensive view of our fans, category landscape and opportunity at large to drive growth, retention and performance
- Work closely with MLSE Business Intelligence team to evaluate new business, brand, category, consumer, and cultural trends that highlight opportunities that can accelerate our partners’ businesses and inform strategic output; including the creation of compelling new business/renewal proposals and platforms using syndicated research and BI tools
- Support partnership development and renewal processes through asset performance benchmark valuations and, the creation of insights-based support materials demonstrating property performance
- Provide real-time reports and insights to optimize performance for ongoing partner programs and campaigns
- Lead the strategy and implementation of the partnership measurement and recap process; establish return on objective (ROO) tracking and reporting dashboards; source and lead relationship with 3rd party vendors/partners
- Direct rate card evaluation, pricing methodology, and tracking across all Partnership assets & platforms; share recommendations as appropriate
- Evaluate new assets, opportunities and properties that can efficiently and optimally reach target audiences at scale and drive revenue
People and Culture
- Key member of the Global Partnerships Leadership team, encouraging a high-performance culture that delivers results through inclusive decision-making and collaborative thinking
- Drive engagement, coach and mentor a team of six
Note: Before reviewing the qualifications listed below, we want you to know that we understand you may not meet all the qualifications described and have other relevant expertise and experience. We invite you to please share this with us in the "Message to the Hiring Manager" section of our online application.
- Progressive leadership in strategy and business operations, with demonstrated ability in building and leading impactful, diverse teams
- Extensive experience developing and managing complex and integrated budgets
- Skilled in developing multi-year strategic plans with the ability to present complex concepts to both C-suite leadership and BOD
- Ability to lead and deliver projects that have an enterprise-wide impact on a business
- Strength with building and maintaining professional relationships - both internally and externally
- Diligence in handling evolving priorities effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Salesforce; experience with quantitative and qualitative data sets, surveys, logo detection software, etc.
- A positive, winning approach, incorporating integrity, confidentiality, and discretion
- Courage to lead with an inclusive and empathetic approach and curiosity to understand how others view and experience the world
- Available to work evenings and weekends as required / when applicable and thrive in a hybrid office environment
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Business Administration/Marketing, or equivalent work experience; MBA preferred
Apply by: November 25, 2022
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
At MLSE, we are committed to building an equitable, diverse and inclusive organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. MLSE will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities in the job application process. If you have difficulty using our online application system and you need an accommodation due to a disability, please email [email protected] Please note this email is only for accommodation requests. Resumes sent to this email address will not be considered.