Health & Safety Specialist
At Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Partnership (MLSE), we are committed to creating an inclusive workplace that is representative of our community and where all employees feel they belong and can reach their full potential. We are Canada’s preeminent leader in delivering top quality sport and entertainment experiences and one of North America’s leading providers of exceptional fan experiences. We are the parent company of the National Hockey League’s Toronto Maple Leafs, the National Basketball Association’s Toronto Raptors, Major League Soccer’s Toronto FC, the Canadian Football League’s Toronto Argonauts and development teams with the Toronto Marlies (American Hockey League), Raptors 905 (NBA G League), Toronto FC II (MLS NEXT Pro League) and Raptors Uprising Gaming Club, the Toronto Raptors Esports franchise in the NBA 2K League.
MLSE owns and/or operates all the venues our teams play and train in, including Scotiabank Arena, BMO Field, Coca-Cola Coliseum, Ford Performance Centre, BMO Training Ground, and OVO Athletic Centre. We also provide fans in Toronto with incredible live music and entertainment events, as well as exceptional culinary experiences through our restaurants (e11even and RS) and clubs (Hot Stove Club, ScotiaClub and Platinum Club). Through MLSE Foundation, we have invested more than $45 million into Ontario communities since 2009 and with MLSE LaunchPad, we provide a place where youth facing barriers use sport to recognize and reach their potential.
We achieve all of this through our Common Purpose - to unite and empower our employees to create extraordinary moments for our fans and each other. Come be a part of the team.
Reporting to the Senior Director, Human Resources, this role is responsible for the development and implementation of Health & Safety programs for all venues owned or operated by MLSE. As a member of the the Human Resources team, you will influence and support the development of our organization’s short and mid-term business strategy, influence forward-thinking management decisions, and contribute to its overall success.
- Facilitate and oversee the administrative and due diligence requirements mandated by the Occupational Health & Safety Act of Ontario and ensure compliance with legislation for the Employer, Management/Supervisory staff, and Workers
- Advise and develop an effective internal responsibility system that focuses on accountability for health and safety at all levels
- Facilitate the delivery of legally required Ministry of Labour health & safety training for staff with focus on New Hire and Welcome Back Orientations
- Direct, develop and facilitate a consistent and effective training program for Managers and Supervisors; ensuring competent supervision as required by the OHSA
- Plan, coordinate, and develop annual workplace safety training for existing full-time and full-time contract on specific training requirements. (i.e. forklift training, material handling, PPE requirements, lock-out training, slips, trips and falls, burns/cuts etc.)
- Conduct and coordinate on-site inspections on capitol and event construction projects to audit physical conditions and safe work practices to establish due diligence on behalf of the organization
- Liaise with the WSIB claims management company with the Early and Safe Return to Work program and meetings with WSIB Claims Adjudicators and Work Transition Specialists
- Monitor, review and analyze all WSIB claims focusing on trends, patterns, and frequency and establishing corrective action to facilitate in the reduction of claims and insurance premiums
- Other duties and responsibilities as required
Note: Before reviewing the qualifications listed below, we want you to know that we understand you may not meet all the qualifications described and have other relevant expertise and experience. We invite you to please share this with us in the "Message to the Hiring Manager" section of our online application.
- Completion of a College Diploma or University Degree in Occupational Health & Safety or a related program
- Minimum of 3 years of Health & Safety experience
- Previous experience investigating incidents & accidents and conducting training in a multiple facility and union environment
- Proficient with office 365, Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, SharePoint, Teams
- Strong communication (written and verbal) skills to draft written correspondence
- Excellent influencing skills, with the ability to deal with conflict and crisis in a calm manner
- Demonstrated cross-functional leadership skills with an effective ability to coach and influence others
- Ability to handle and communicate sensitive and confidential information with professionalism and discretion
- Excellent ability to focus and prioritize in a fast-moving environment
Apply by: Oct 23th, 2022
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
At MLSE, we are committed to building an equitable, diverse and inclusive organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. MLSE will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities in the job application process. If you have difficulty using our online application system and you need an accommodation due to a disability, please email [email protected] Please note this email is only for accommodation requests. Resumes sent to this email address will not be considered.