Financial Reporting Intern
Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment (MLSE) one of the world's premier sports and entertainment companies, owns the Toronto Maple Leafs (NHL), Toronto Raptors (NBA), Toronto FC (MLS), Toronto Argonauts (CFL), Toronto Marlies (AHL), Raptors 905 (NBA D-League), TFC II (USL) and Raptors Uprising Gaming Club, the Toronto Raptors Esports franchise in the NBA 2K League. Its charitable arm, MLSE Foundation, focuses on funding initiatives to support youth through sport and recreational programs. In 2017 MLSE Foundation, with support of community and corporate partners, built MLSE LaunchPad, a 42,000-sq. ft. space dedicated to programming that support its four Pillars: Healthy Body, Healthy Mind, Ready For School and Ready For Work.
MLSE also owns and operates Scotiabank Arena, Canada’s premier sports & entertainment venue hosting more than 200 events each year, as well as two digital channels (Leafs Nation Network and NBA TV Canada), and has a partnership with Live Nation (the biggest concert promoter in the world). MLSE has also invested in and operates five of Toronto's sports facilities – Coca-Cola Coliseum, BMO Field, BMO Training Grounds at Downsview Park, home of Toronto FC's Academy and the First Team's practice facility, the Toronto Raptors’ training facility and the MasterCard Centre for Hockey Excellence, the practice facility for the Maple Leafs and Marlies.
MLSE’s common purpose is to unite and empower employees to deliver extraordinary moments to our fans and each other.
Who We Are:
We celebrate the diversity, individuality, and personality of our peers, striving to be the best in class, in every class. We believe in Respect, Resilience, Commitment, and Ambition. We work for, with, and around the people that inspire us to try, persist, and achieve more.
Our work goes beyond games, seasons, trophies, and tours. Our success is measured by more than a scoreboard. Our team is stronger when we stand united. We create, we celebrate, we build, and we become better!
What we choose to do next, means everything! It defines greatness, builds character, makes history, and brings the world to its feet.
The Financial Reporting team is accountable for providing timely and accurate reporting of organizational wide financial results (summary reports and presentations) for MLSE Executives & Board Members. Additionally, the team is also responsible for ad-hoc financial reporting and budgeting.
Reporting to the Financial Reporting Manager, the Financial Reporting Intern will have the unique opportunity to gain hands-on experience in developing technical accounting skills as part of a leading Sports & Entertainment Company by assisting and coordinating a variety of financial reporting functions and developing communication skills by liaising with other finance team members and cross-functional business units.
MLSE’s Internship term dates are from May 9th, 2022 – September 2nd, 2022.
- Assist in the preparation of consolidated and non-consolidated P&L and balance sheet information, including preparing relevant supporting schedules, with guidance from the wider Financial Reporting team
- Assist in the preparation of monthly and quarterly internal financial reporting packages presented to senior management
- Perform monthly calculations and reconciliations for key accounts
- Assist with accounting research, issue resolution and disclosure implications of significant transactions, including technical position papers in accordance with IFRS
- Assist in the preparation of variance analysis comparing actual results to plan and forecast
- Assist in the preparation of various Statistics Canada surveys
- Participate in special projects as needed
- You are working towards the completion of an undergraduate degree and pre-requisites for entry into the CPA Professional Education Program. You also have the intention to pursue a CPA designation.
- You have strong analytical skills and the ability to analyze and interpret data
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suites (Excel, PowerPoint, and Word) – candidates with demonstrated skill at Excel (performing VLOOKUP’s, pivot tables, and other data cleaning abilities) considered an asset
- You demonstrate initiative and can work independently and as part of a team
- You have strong interpersonal and communication (written and verbal) skills
- You can establish and maintain effective working relationships with other departments
- You possess outstanding organization skills with the ability to independently manage your time and organize multiple work activities and inputs
- You love learning and constantly applying new skills to unfamiliar tasks
Apply by: February 28th, 2022
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Partnership will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities in the job application process. If you have difficulty using our online application system and you need an accommodation due to a disability, please email [email protected]. Please note this email is only for accommodation requests. Resumes sent to this email address will not be considered.