Manager, Media Relations, Toronto Raptors
- British Columbia Rd, Toronto, ON M6K, Canada
Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment (MLSE) one of the world's premier sports and entertainment companies, owns the Toronto Maple Leafs (NHL), Toronto Raptors (NBA), Toronto FC (MLS), Toronto Argonauts (CFL), Toronto Marlies (AHL), Raptors 905 (NBA D-League), TFC II (USL) and Raptors Uprising Gaming Club, the Toronto Raptors Esports franchise in the NBA 2K League. Its charitable arm, MLSE Foundation, focuses on funding initiatives to support youth through sport and recreational programs. In 2017 MLSE Foundation, with support of community and corporate partners, built MLSE LaunchPad, a 42,000-sq. ft. space dedicated to programming that support its four Pillars: Healthy Body, Healthy Mind, Ready For School and Ready For Work.
MLSE’s common purpose is to unite and empower employees to deliver extraordinary moments to our fans and each other.
Who We Are
We celebrate the diversity, individuality, and personality of our peers, striving to be the best in class, in every class. We believe in Respect, Resilience, Commitment, and Ambition. We work for, with, and around the people that inspire us to try, persist, and achieve more.
Our work goes beyond games, seasons, trophies, and tours. Our success is measured by more than a scoreboard. Our team is stronger when we stand united. We create, we celebrate, we build, and we become better!
What we choose to do next, means everything! It defines greatness, builds character, makes history, and brings the world to its feet.
The Toronto Raptors communications department is seeking a manager to join the team. The Manager, Media Relations will both lead on projects and assist with a variety of duties. Reporting to the Director, Communications and working with the Senior Manager, Media Relations, the successful candidate is the ultimate team player: a self-starter, a good writer with an eye for detail, keenly interested in telling great stories about our organization, and committed to providing an exceptional level of service.
- Support or occasionally lead the execution of day-to-day service to the media at practices, games and during the off-season.
- Support team and player initiatives in the areas of equality, diversity and inclusion.
- Oversee the writing and editing of team information, including media guides and game notes.
- Lead the accreditation process and game night procedures.
- Assist with major projects, such as media day, the NBA Draft, NBA All-Star, NBA Playoffs, season-end awards, and other initiatives as required.
- Acts as a regular resource for the Raptors 905 PR coordinator.
- Hire interns, provide mentorship, and allocate assignments as appropriate.
- Contribute to the preparation of written publicity material such as news releases and advisories.
- Manage logistics for visiting media and broadcasters.
- Act as a key member of the public relations team, contributing to strategic discussion and initiatives involving direction, risk management, brand enhancement, and media trends.
- A university or college degree in sports administration, journalism, public relations or a related field is an asset for this role.
- 6+ years of proven experience – sports experience is an asset, but not required.
- Educational and work experiences and achievements outside the classroom or workplace will also be considered.
- Strong writing skills and statistical understanding, and a strong technical knowledge of the sport of basketball.
- Deep knowledge of the local, national and international sports media, and a strong understanding of social and digital platforms.
- Must be willing and able to work evening, weekends and holidays. Some cross-border travel will be required.
- A high level of discretion and willingness to work as a member of a team is essential.
- A second language is an asset.
- You must be legally able to work in Canada.
Please apply by: January 28, 2022
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Partnership will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities in the job application process. If you have difficulty using our online application system and you need an accommodation due to a disability, please email [email protected] Please note this email is only for accommodation requests. Resumes sent to this email address will not be considered.