Director, Internal Communications
- 50 Bay St, Toronto, ON M5J 2X8, Canada
Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment (MLSE) one of the world's premier sports and entertainment companies, owns the Toronto Maple Leafs (NHL), Toronto Raptors (NBA), Toronto FC (MLS), Toronto Argonauts (CFL), Toronto Marlies (AHL), Raptors 905 (NBA D-League), TFC II (USL) and Raptors Uprising Gaming Club, the Toronto Raptors Esports franchise in the NBA 2K League. Its charitable arm, MLSE Foundation, focuses on funding initiatives to support youth through sport and recreational programs. In 2017 MLSE Foundation, with support of community and corporate partners, built MLSE LaunchPad, a 42,000-sq. ft. space dedicated to programming that support its four Pillars: Healthy Body, Healthy Mind, Ready For School and Ready For Work.
MLSE also owns and operates Scotiabank Arena, Canada’s premier sports & entertainment venue hosting more than 200 events each year, as well as two digital channels (Leafs Nation Network and NBA TV Canada), and has a partnership with Live Nation (the biggest concert promoter in the world). MLSE has also invested in and operates five of Toronto's sports facilities – Coca-Cola Coliseum, BMO Field, BMO Training Grounds at Downsview Park, home of Toronto FC's Academy and the First Team's practice facility, the Toronto Raptors’ training facility and the MasterCard Centre for Hockey Excellence, the practice facility for the Maple Leafs and Marlies.
MLSE’s common purpose is to unite and empower employees to deliver extraordinary moments to our fans and each other.
Reporting directly to the Senior Vice President of Human Resources, the Director of Internal Communications will be expected to serve as a trusted business partner who can provide a full range of strategic communications support and deliver on programs to mobilize MLSE’s employees around MLSE’s fan-first culture, change management initiatives and MLSE’s long-term business strategy. The Director of Internal Communications will work closely with the Senior Vice President of Human Resources to deliver appropriate, engaging and dynamic executive messaging and employee communications that align with MLSE’s corporate communications strategy, business objectives and people and culture mandate. The ideal candidate is someone who embraces and champions the important role that clear, engaging, and consistent communications plays in both organizational success and building a culture of inclusivity and belonging.
- Oversee and execute all corporate internal communications programs and initiatives including but not limited to internal executive communications, MLSE’s long-term business strategy, celebration & recognition communications, change management and key internal stakeholder activities.
- Develop key internal messages and create and implement strategic internal communication plans that support key organizational priorities and internal stakeholder initiatives.
- Work collaboratively with the external communications team, ensuring consistent messaging both internally and externally.
- Write and edit key executive communications that would include key messages, speeches, organizational announcements and presentations.
- Oversee the overall content and engagement strategy of MLSE’s internal platform, Workplace from Facebook, including acting as the key liaison with Facebook.
- Craft the narrative and deliver communications plans aligned to MLSE’S Mission, Common Purpose, employee experience and business objectives.
- Develop all HR communications for both Full-Time and hourly employees including, employee engagement surveys, diversity and inclusion activities, celebration and recognition, organizational changes, etc.
- Assist in the development and execution of MLSE’s employment branding strategy including content strategy development and copywriting.
- Working with MLSE’s internal events agency, oversee the content and design of all MLSE internal events including l employee town halls, leadership conferences, employee appreciation night and service awards. Manage one direct report and larger project teams as required.
- At least 10 years demonstrated professional experience in corporate communications, setting internal communications strategy, creating and launching communication plans and programs.
- Strong business acumen with demonstrated ability to connect corporate level objectives and communications strategies.
- Experience in providing strategic communications counsel to senior executives and demonstrated courage to challenge positions, serve as a trusted advisor and business partner across all areas of the organization and a proven ability to influence outcomes.
- Extraordinary verbal, written communication, project management and relationship management skills.
- Strong experience in events management, with the ability to work with various stakeholders to deliver on objectives.
- An engaging collaborator who has a proven track record of delivering results in complex work environments.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with and influence others with or without direct authority.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and deliver on tight deadlines in a fast-paced corporate environment.
- Strong knowledge and ability to communicate to diverse audience groups.
- Expert skills in building presentations
- Experience and prioritization of centering equity in communication around organizational policies and practices.
- Strong ability to be self-directed and build credibility as a proactive thought leader and trusted senior business partner.
- Strong team player with outstanding collaborative and creative thinking skills.
- Solutions-focused, self-motivated and results-driven.
- An experienced people manager and leader.
- Relevant government, corporate or agency experience considered an asset.
- Able to travel occasionally for conferences, speaking engagements and other meetings (2-5 times per year).
Apply by: October 22, 2020.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Partnership will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities in the job application process. If you have difficulty using our online application system and you need an accommodation due to a disability, please email [email protected] Please note this email is only for accommodation requests. Resumes sent to this email address will not be considered.