Data Center Technician - Laredo
MDC, formerly McAllen Data Center, helps carriers and enterprises interconnect with major Internet Service Providers on the US-Mexico border. The company is considered one of the fastest-growing data centers in South Texas, presenting a unique offer of reliable colocation services with a fiber optics infrastructure to foster connectivity across the border.
With data centers in McAllen, Laredo, and El Paso; MDC, the former McAllen Data Center, serves the emerging Mexican market allowing American and International carriers to connect to the largest concentration of Mexican carriers in carrier-neutral facilities.
Are you looking for an exciting career in telecom? Join us!
We are looking for a guardian for our Data Center in Laredo and a team player for other MDC units.
As a Data Center Technician, you excel in customer service by attending to our client requests on time and providing infrastructure maintenance to our internal and external installations. Your mission is to guarantee customer satisfaction and security in our Data Centers to grow our connections.
If you like to move fast, have a bias for action, and you willing to keep learning, you’ll fit right into our fast-paced, results-based environment. Take this opportunity, apply now!
What you would be doing
- Create and maintain effective customer relationships, with customer satisfaction as the ultimate goal.
- Troubleshooting complex technical issues in a fast-paced data center environment.
- Process all service requests for new or modified services as they are required.
- Monitor open trouble incidents and ensure timely resolution.
- Monitor network components (routers, switches, and other items).
- Identifies problem and risk areas and is able to advise management of actions required to mitigate their impact.
- Notify management of major network outages and resolutions
- Document processes and procedures.
- Update customer information inside internal systemsPerform physical security walkthroughs, administer security sign-in procedures for all colocation customers, visitors, and third parties, and escort them to designated work locations.
- You support MDC Data Center sites in all locations, not only in Laredo, by assisting the NOC team.
- Conduct Route Patrols, which may require the use of a personal car.
- Conduct constant activities that involve electrical power AC/DC.
- An Associate's degree (A.A.) or equivalent from a two-year college or technical school, or an equivalent combination of education and experience, is required.
- Customer service courses are a plus.
- A Bachelor's degree in computer science, information technology, telecommunications, or a related field is also a plus.
Technical skills and work experience:
- Bilingual – English and Spanish required
- Preferably a Degree in Telecommunication Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or Technical degree with experience in NOC (network operations center) and/or SOC (Security Operations Center)
- Previous NOC/SOC experience and/or data center experience preferred.
- Ability to install and neatly manage copper, coaxial, Cat5/6, fiber, and other network cables/connector types
- Preferably familiarity with the OSI Model and Network fundamentals.
- Preferably Knowledge of OTDR and Fiber Optic equipment.
- Familiarity and interest in software tools such as Asana, Slack, and Google Workspaces (formerly Gsuite)
- Customer service orientation: You pay attention to customers' needs and concerns and willingly provide assistance to cultivate long-term and loyal relationships.
- Problem-solving: You break down problems into smaller components, generating alternative solutions and evaluating the pros and cons of each option.
- Responsibility: You take calculated risks and demonstrate commitment to your responsibilities.
- Prioritization: You effectively manage maintenance priorities and client tickets.
- Communication: You demonstrate strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Adaptability: You quickly adapt to changing situations and demonstrate a willingness to learn.
- Teamwork: You demonstrate enthusiasm for helping coworkers and working with them to achieve goals.
- On-site in Laredo, TX.
- Support all MDC Data Center sites remotely.
- Availability to travel when required to attend meetings and assist other MDC Data Center sites.
- The position requires (if necessary) that the person will be on call during the weekend.
A Global Team
MDC was founded on the principle of bridging two countries together, so we get the idea of not just accepting the difference in people, but celebrating it and recognizing the value it brings to our customers and employees.
Our ability to understand, embrace and operate in a multicultural world - both in the marketplace and in the workplace - is critical to our success.