MDC, formerly McAllen Data Center, helps carriers and enterprises interconnect with major Internet Service Providers on the US-Mexico border. The company is considered one of the fastest-growing data centers in South Texas, presenting a unique offer of reliable colocation services with a fiber optics infrastructure to foster connectivity across the border.
With data centers in McAllen, Laredo, El Paso, and Nogales; MDC Data Centers, serves the emerging Mexican market allowing American and International carriers to connect to the largest concentration of Mexican carriers in carrier-neutral facilities.
Our company is seeking a Construction Manager to oversee the construction of data centers and fiber optic structures, including the manhole. If you're seeking a new challenge in a dynamic, fast-paced environment, this opportunity may be perfect for you!
As the Construction Manager, you will oversee all aspects of construction projects, including planning, design, procurement, construction, and closeout. You will work closely with the project team to ensure that the project is completed on time, within budget, and to the highest quality standards.
To succeed in this role, you must deeply understand data center and fiber optics networking technology and infrastructure requirements. You should also excel in cross-collaboration and have at least 5 years of experience in construction management to solve challenges effectively.
Are you excited about this challenge? Come grow with us!
What would you be doing?
- Oversee and manage all aspects of construction projects, including planning, design, procurement, construction, and closeout.
- Coordinate with project managers and project coordinators to determine the project specifications.
- Provide technical expertise and guidance on construction methods, materials, and equipment.
- Coordinate with project stakeholders, including clients, architects, engineers, subcontractors, and regulatory agencies.
- Develop and maintain project schedules and budgets, and ensure timely delivery of projects within budget.
- Manage project documentation, including contracts, drawings, specifications, and change orders.
- Develop and maintain relationships with clients and stakeholders, and ensure their satisfaction with the project outcomes.
- Identify and mitigate project risks and issues, and implement corrective actions as necessary.
- Provide regular project status updates to senior management and escalate issues as appropriate.
- Facilitate decision-making to drive solutions and schedules and manage change as required.
- Ensures compliance with project profit plan.
- Prepare expense construction forecasts and negotiate budgets with the finance department.
- Apply influence, strategies, and negotiation skills to identify options and recommend solutions.
- Audit providers and help tos select them when necessary.
- Assist in fulfilling all construction requirements and documentation necessary to obtain government, state, and local permits for the construction and operation of data centers and fiber optic networks.
- Ensure compliance with all safety regulations and standards, and maintain a safe working environment for all personnel.
- Develop team members by delegating responsibility to facilitate their professional growth.
- Conduct regular one-on-one sessions and provide coaching to support team members' development
- Implement training programs on environmentally responsible building topics to update employee skills and knowledge.
Technical skills and work experience
- Bilingual – English and Spanish required.
- Minimum of 5 years of construction management experience, focusing on data center and fiber optic network infrastructure construction.
- AutoCAD and Document management software.
- Knowledge of permit management in government, state, and local entities.
- Strong project management skills, with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Knowledge of construction methods, materials, and equipment, with a focus on data center and fiber optic network infrastructure construction.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to build and maintain relationships with clients and stakeholders.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to identify and mitigate project risks and issues.
- Ability to travel to project sites as required.
- Bachelor's degree in construction management, engineering, or a related field.
- PMP-PMI and/or Scrum Certification
- Additional degrees or certifications are a plus
- Customer service orientation: You pay attention to customers’ needs by listening thoughtfully, summarizing their pains and gains, and providing consultancy according to their needs.
- Organization: You excel in time management to be able to transit different duties and keep information organized and easy to access.
- Communication: You demonstrate strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Adaptability: You quickly adapt to situations, demonstrate a willingness to learn, and transit easily through different audiences.
- Resilience: You continue to perform effectively when faced with time pressures, adversity, disappointment, or opposition.
- Negotiation: You feel motivated about finding solutions that help two or more parties agree to a common logical solution.
- Results driven: You are always looking for ways to reach great deals for all parts and reach goals.
- Tech-savvy: You demonstrate intuitive knowledge to operate modern devices effectively
- Teamwork: You demonstrate enthusiasm in helping coworkers and engaging with them to achieve goals.
- Problem-Solving: You demonstrate logical and analytical thinking, creativity, and critical thinking to solve complex or difficult problems effectively.
- Leadership: You identify the strengths in your team, help them develop their skills, and help people to build relationships. You also inspire people to keep growing together and foster collaboration.
A Global Team
MDC was founded on the principle of bridging two countries together, so we get the idea of not just accepting the difference in people, but celebrating it and recognizing the value it brings to our customers and employees.
Our ability to understand, embrace and operate in a multicultural world - both in the marketplace and in the workplace - is critical to our success.