Head of People Operations
MDC, formerly McAllen Data Center, helps carriers and enterprises interconnect with major Internet Service Providers on the US-Mexico border. The company is considered one of the fastest-growing data centers in South Texas, presenting a unique offer of reliable colocation services with a fiber optics infrastructure to foster connectivity across the border.
With data centers in McAllen, Laredo, El Paso, and Nogales; MDC, the former McAllen Data Center, serves the emerging Mexican market allowing American and International carriers to connect to the largest concentration of Mexican carriers in carrier-neutral facilities.
We are looking for a Head of People Operations to help us to develop the organization and human capital to mobilize and sustain the company's strategies.
The Head of People operation provides leadership, direction, and guidance for strategic initiatives and performs day-to-day activities to guarantee that the company establishes HR policies and talent management practices that foster a culture of performance around the strategy.
The ideal candidate for this position has clarity about People Operations concepts, ability to deal with litigation, and strategic mindset. To be successful in this position, the professional needs to have a robust knowledge of performance management, leadership development, and culture transformation. He or she should be highly analytical, possess planning and organizational skills, and stand out in communication to engage MDCErs ( we call ourselves MDCers) and enhance performance.
Do you feel excited about helping People deliver results? Join us!
What would you be doing?
- Design HR Strategy Map.
- Translate the organization’s strategy to improve student achievement and outcomes into an aligned human capital strategy, setting clear, measurable outcomes.
- Align all resources (human, financial, technology, and time) to execute the human capital strategy.
- Design and implement strategies, such as strategic compensation and career ladders.
- Lead the design and implementation of a valid and reliable performance management system for all staff aligned with the organization’s vision.
- Collaborates with senior leadership to understand the organization's goals and strategy related to staffing, recruiting, and retention.
- Plans, leads, develops, coordinates, and implements policies, processes, training, initiatives, and surveys to support the organization's human resource compliance and strategy needs.
- Administers or oversees the administration of human resource programs including, but not limited to, compensation, benefits, and leave; disciplinary matters; disputes and investigations; performance and talent management; productivity, recognition, and morale; occupational health and safety; and training and development.
- Identifies staffing and recruiting needs; develops and executes best practices for hiring and talent management.
- Recruits, interviews, hires, and trains new staff in the department and helps on it other departments when necessary.
- Oversees the daily workflow of the department.
- Provides constructive and timely performance evaluations.
- Handles discipline and termination of employees in accordance with company policy.
- Conducts research and analysis of organizational trends, including reviewing reports and metrics from the organization's human resource information system (HRIS) or talent management system.
- Monitors and ensures the organization's compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations and recommended best practices; reviews and modifies policies and practices to maintain compliance.
- Maintains knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, talent management, and employment law; applies this knowledge to communicate policy, practice, and resource changes to upper management.
- Develops and implements departmental budget.
- Review and establish compensation and rewards systems.
- Foster a culture of digitalization of administrative and operational processes in the department.
- Facilitates professional development, training, and certification activities.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related field required; Master's or MBA degree preferred.
- SHRM or HRCI is a plus
- Bilingual – English and Spanish required.
- Minimal 5 years of experience in HR Generalist leadership roles
- Experience translating vision and strategy into daily operations and actionable performance goals
- Excellent project/program management skills
- Superior communication, collaboration, and organizational skills
- Track record of hiring and developing exceptional talent
- Comfortable navigating HR legislation in the US and Mexico
- Conflict resolution skills
- Leadership skills ( Depth of intellect, diplomatic skills, and an appreciation for human dynamics;)
- Project/Program Management skills
- Ability to coordinate and drive projects to closure
- Ability to engage people to deliver a project
- Ability to think strategically
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
- Proficiency with or the ability to quickly learn the organization's HRIS and talent management systems
- Critical Thinking: You easily access information and situations to identify problems, find the root cause, and foster technical and social solutions.
- Planning and finance acumen: You demonstrate the ability to think in the short, medium, and long term to make compensation projections to support the business's goals.
- Organization: You excel in time management to transit between different responsibilities. You also easily keep information organized to produce executive reports.
- Communication: You demonstrate the ability to communicate in English and Spanish and master active listening and diplomacy to understand stakeholders' views and arrive in agreements.
- Tech savvy: You easily use different systems and are keen to automate administrative and repetitive tasks to increase productivity.
- Resilience: You continue performing effectively when faced with time pressures, adversity, disappointment, and welcome feedback.
- Teamwork: You demonstrate enthusiasm in helping coworkers and engaging with them to achieve goals.
- Flexibility: You demonstrate curiosity for multiculturalism, modify your approach as needed to promote collaboration, and quickly adapt to changes.
- Leadership: You identify the strengths in your team, help them develop their skills, and help people to build relationships. You also inspire people to keep growing together and foster collaboration.
- Customer Service Orientation: Makes customers and their needs a primary focus. Takes appropriate immediate action to meet customer needs and concerns and continually assesses customer feedback to make improvements.
- Confidentiality: Makes effective business decisions regarding with whom to discuss sensitive and confidential information. Consistently uses good business judgment. Respects the privacy of others and maintain the confidentiality of information to which it is exposed.
- Strong Collaboration & Cross-Functional Skills: Proactively works in partnership to achieve a common goal or necessary objective. Builds rapport and cooperative relationships with others.
- Hybrid McAllen, TX.
A Global Team
MDC was founded on the principle of bridging two countries together, so we get the idea of not just accepting the difference in people, but celebrating it and recognizing the value it brings to our customers and employees.
Our ability to understand, embrace and operate in a multicultural world - both in the marketplace and in the workplace - is critical to our success.