Outside Plant Engineer
- 200 S 10th St 7th floor ste 702, McAllen, TX 78501, USA
MDC, formerly McAllen Data Center, helps carriers and enterprises interconnect with major Internet Service Providers on the US-Mexico border. The company is considered one of the fastest-growing data centers in South Texas, presenting a unique offer of reliable colocation services with a fiber optics infrastructure to foster connectivity across the border.
With data centers in McAllen, Laredo, El Paso, and Nogales; MDC, the former McAllen Data Center, serves the emerging Mexican market allowing American and International carriers to connect to the largest concentration of Mexican carriers in carrier-neutral facilities.
Grow with us! We are looking for an Outside Plant Engineer to help us expand our Data Centers.
As a Outside Plant Engineer, you will play a critical role in guaranteeing the licenses required to build Data Center and Fiber Optic routes. You are the guardian of the documentation processes to manage our fiber optics and build infrastructure to ensure our client's safety, security, and connectivity.
The ideal candidate for this position has fiber optic and data center construction expertise and transits well between responsibilities related to documenting, reviewing construction requirements, budgeting, and supervising contractors in the field. Most importantly, the ideal candidate feels confident providing engineering solutions and following compliance and internal processes. Do you feel connected with this challenge?
Join us to promote connectivity!
What would you be doing?
- Manages projects from beginning to completion, including design reviews, permission requests, site development, and contractor management in conjunction with the Project Manager
- Plans, designs, and manages projects using AutoCAD Civil 3D, including grading, surface modeling, and construction area development.
- Performs preliminary engineering for fiber optical line and data center facilities to quote and select suppliers.
- Reviews preliminary construction cost estimates as part of engineering design feasibility report provided by external suppliers.
- Project budgets to estimate funding necessities for the constructions.
- Reviews and performs audits of construction documents for telecommunications towers, civil sites, and architectural conditions.
- Verifies material conformance with project specifications.
- Manages construction plans, specifications, and documentation to ensure compliance with contract specifications.
- Communicates and oversees construction requirements with the contractor.
- Performs regular site visits to conduct inspections ensuring compliance to project specifications.
- Creates and improves processes and procedures for constructing data centers and fiber routes.
- Perform testing and splicing of fibers.
- Supervises pipeline/facility construction activities and projects to ensure target dates, budgets, and safety requirements with zero incidents.
- Provides document control for all project requests to meet local law construction compliance.
- Promotes safety standards and practices per company guidelines and OSHAS to guarantee the team's security.
- Bachelor's degree in civil engineer, telecommunication, engineering, or a related field.
- Additional degrees or certifications are a plus
Technical skills and work experience
- Bilingual – English and Spanish required.
- Communicates effectively orally and in writing
- Experience with managing clients and teams.
- 3-5 years of prior experience in project management is a plus
- 3 years experience as a minimum working in construction
- 3 years of experience as a minimum working in fiber construction
- AUTOCad 3D
- Critical Thinking: You have the ability to criticize technical requirements in a design and identify risks in a construction project.
- Planning: You demonstrate the ability to think in the short, medium, and long term to plan the phases of a construction project.
- Organization: You excel in time management to transit different and coordinate duties. You also easily keep information organized to produce reports and provide compliance.
- Communication: You demonstrate the ability to communicate in English and Spanish with different stakeholders.
- Negotiation: You demonstrate the ability to negotiate lead time with contractors and materials with suppliers when necessary.
- Resilience: You continue performing effectively when faced with time pressures, adversity, disappointment, and welcome feedback.
- Teamwork: You demonstrate enthusiasm in helping coworkers and engaging with them to achieve goals.
- Flexibility: You demonstrate curiosity for multi-cultural, modify your approach as needed to promote collaboration, and quickly adapt to changes.
A Global Team
MDC was founded on the principle of bridging two countries together, so we get the idea of not just accepting the difference in people, but celebrating it and recognizing the value it brings to our customers and employees.
Our ability to understand, embrace and operate in a multicultural world - both in the marketplace and in the workplace - is critical to our success.