Senior Android Engineer
- 1145 W 5th St, Austin, TX 78703, USA
- Employees can work remotely
At Literati, we believe in the power of great books. We’re on a mission to ignite a love of learning and a love of life by curating transformative literary experiences for every reader: anyone who dreams, anyone who wonders, of any age. There are some stories no child should live without and no adult should ever forget.
Literati is the fastest growing company in Arts + Literature in the United States, and the #5 fastest growing company in Texas. Launching an innovative try-before-you-buy print book club for Kids in 2017, the company expanded in 2020 into hosting print and digital book clubs for the world's top authors, celebrities and brands. Clients include: Sir Richard Branson, Stephen Curry, Malala, Susan Orlean, Jesmyn Ward, Cheryl Strayed, Elin Hilderbrand, Roxane Gay, and Austin Kleon. Lovingly referred to as Austin's "fiction factory" the company curates and fulfills over a million books per quarter.
As a Senior Android Engineer your focus and love for all things Android will permeate the cross-functional team. You’ll leverage your extensive knowledge of building apps across a wide swath of differing Android devices to make our presence on Android a premier experience. You will be focusing on building a native application for a brand new product we are launching so if you are interested in greenfield work that will be used by millions of people, then this could be a great opportunity for you to consider!
WE’RE GOOD AT:
Bringing the fire. We are a startup, with all the fierce dedication and sparkling energy to accomplish great feats. Iron sharpens iron, and so we’ve refined our teams from only the strongest metals: open minds, bright ideas, and bold determination.
YOU’RE GOOD AT:
- Working closely with design and product owners to ensure they understand the nuances (and importance) of building very intentionally for Android (v. the other platform);
- Advocating for all things Android -- expert level proficiency in Java and Kotlin;
- Demonstrated expertise of Android framework components and their life cycles;
- Android UI Skills including Fragments, ConstraintLayout, and concepts of Material Design.
YOU WILL NEED:
- 5+ years of experience building native Android Applications;
- 5+ years of experience with Java (With recent experience using Kotlin);
- Ability to identify, estimate, and architect solutions for new features through the application of tried and true technical judgment;
- Demonstrated experience with common tools such as Git, Clubhouse/Jira, etc;
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent;
- Track record of successful delivery in an agile environment.
YOUR DAY-TO-DAY WILL LOOK LIKE:
- Working with product owners/managers across the company, you’ll participate in sprint grooming, planning, retrospective sessions.
- Working with design, you’ll act as the expert in how we deliver world-class tailored experiences on the Android platform.
- Working with Engineering, you’ll incorporate your expertise into our overall Engineering craft to achieve efficient delivery of our software products to market.
We seek people with drive and a touch of alchemy—and if that sounds like you, you should join us. Even if your experience isn’t a precise match for the role, passion and prowess will always win the day in our book. And if your career has taken you to some spectacular (or spectacularly strange) places? We love a good story.
At Literati, we value the power of reading for all: anyone who dreams, anyone who wonders, anyone of any age, from any background. We are dedicated to cultivating and preserving a culture of inclusion and connectedness that sees, reflects, welcomes, and celebrates the innovation and talent of a diverse array of people.