Senior Software Engineer (Java)
Light & Wonder is the global leader in cross-platform games and entertainment. The company brings together 5,000 employees from six continents to connect content between land-based and digital channels with unmatched technology and distribution. Guided by a culture that values daring teamwork and creativity, Light & Wonder builds new worlds of play, developing game experiences loved by players around the globe. The company’s OpenGaming(tm) platform powers the largest digital-gaming network in the industry. Light & Wonder is committed to the highest standards of integrity, from promoting player responsibility to implementing sustainable practices. To learn more, visit lnw.com.
We are on the look out for a Senior Software Engineer (Java) to join our team! In this role you will be working within a high performing agile team alongside other Software Engineers, Test Engineers, Software Architects, DevOps Engineers and Business teams to shape and implement the technology and product deliverables that will drive forward our strategic initiatives.
You will be required to participate in all stages of the software product development life cycle. This may include analyzing systems, micro-services, web services, making the most out of amazon web services, participating in the requirement capturing process, writing clean Java code, troubleshooting bugs, and running tests to improve system functionality and performance.
Ideal candidates are engineers with at least 5 years of professional experience in the domain of web system design and development. They will be expected to take on a senior role within the team, displaying the ability to lead technical discussions and deliver technical advice in a confident manner.
We expect that you will be able to use any additional technological skills in your arsenal to improve the team's efficiency and problem-solving abilities while developing into a well-rounded engineer.
As part of our team, you will
- Participate in all stages of the software development life cycle
- Write well designed and efficient code
- Work with others as part of a self-organizing team to design, build, and run products and services hosted on-premises and in the cloud.
- Review and refactor existing code to improve our platform's reliability, robustness, performance, and operability.
- Work within a high-performance team running Scrumban and incrementally deliver value to the business following set priorities.
- Become part of a value-oriented culture ensuring the quality of products and services delivered by the team.
- Lead engineers on large product initiatives, providing technical coaching to less experienced engineers.
- Excellent and demonstrable knowledge of the Java programming language, with at least 5 years of commercial experience.
- Experience in developing RESTful applications with Spring boot or related frameworks.
- Familiarity with AWS, Cloud Native applications and Microservice architectures
- Experience working with relational (SQL, DDL, ACID) and non-relational databases.
- Comfortable with Unix/Linux environments
- Excellent analysis and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication skills, both written and spoken
Nice to have
- Experience with caching strategies using Redis / Hazelcast
- Familiar with messaging by using Kafka / RabbitMQ or others
- Familiarity with Continuous Deployment and Integration tools (Jenkins, Docker, etc)
- Experience leading a small team of developers
- Experience with Agile methodologies (Scrum, Kanban)
- Experience acting as the primary technical decision-maker for a team, platform, product, or major project.
Why would you enjoy working with us at Light & Wonder?
Competitive benefits, an open and supportive environment as well as a modern and exciting workplace.
The opportunity to interact with global teams on a regular basis and the possibility to switch teams and projects as you and our business continues to develop and grow.
Exciting projects with opportunities for creating positive change to our game engineering ecosystem.
And if that is not enough; you will get to enjoy a stunning work location and flexible hybrid working whilst we provide you with the guidance and development skills you need to progress quickly and enhance your career.