Collaboration or graduation internship: Estimating health in Dairy Cows
- Cornelis van der Lelylaan, 3147 Maassluis, Netherlands
At Lely, we believe in achieving a sustainable, profitable and agreeable future for dairy farmers by combining robotisation, engineering and farming expertise.
It all started with a dream cherished by two brothers in Maassluis 70 years ago, and ever since, we have worked to become innovative market leaders in automated systems for dairy farmers across the globe. With a team of 1,600 professional specialists, we work constantly to bring about revolutionary solutions for the agro industry. We are based at our Maassluis Campus, a building which features the highest sustainability performance possible, not just in the Netherlands, but on a global scale. Our overall objective: making dairy farming interesting, also for the coming generations.
Currently the dairy sector needs to produce sufficient and affordable food in a sustainable way regarding resource efficiency, environmental impact, and animal well-being. Automation is becoming more and more common at dairy farms, and the level of automation is ever increasing; milking and feeding robots, as well as tags yield an abundance of sensor data that can help improve cow management regarding resource efficiency and well-being.
Cow Monitoring listen to cows, people and machines. Data turns into fast, high quality information, adding value for everyone in the dairy system (farmers, advisers and technicians).
We would like to collect reference data on cow health and farm management and determine the added value of our sensors.
We are currently testing several sensors for early diagnosis and prevention of production diseases like lameness, mastitis, post-partum and metabolic diseases. Students will contribute by collecting reference data and developing models to monitor cow health in general or specific diseases depending on the skills and interest of the student.
- You can do this as a collaboration as a graduation internship;
- You will be available for at least three months.
- You will be available from January/February;
- You are available 40 hours a week.
- You are following a WO study programme;
- You are following a study programme in animal sciences, animal and animal husbandry, veterinary medicine;
- You have knowledge about, (basic) statistics;
- You are a cooperative teamplayer, interest to learn health scoring, interest to deep dive in data;
- You have driver’s license B;
- You speak and write Dutch and English fluently.
An instructive and insane experience at an international company driven by innovation. If you have any questions, you can always contact one of your colleagues who are just as driven in his/her field. Furthermore, we offer you:
- €400,- internship allowance per month;
- Own barista, who makes the tastiest cappuccinos;
- Possibly a appartment if the travel time is too long.
After your internship and study, there may be many more possibilities within Lely. Do you see yourself in the above points? Then apply directly to our vacancy on the website