Software Support Engineer
- Melbourne VIC, Australia
- Job Type: Permanent
Our name isn’t the only thing that’s unique about Leidos Australia. We’re a complex systems integration company building world-class solutions across government and defence that ensure peace of mind for the entire nation. Supported by global backing from our US network and employing over 32,000 people globally we’re trusted by our customers to deliver the most innovative answers to their most complex challenges. Seriously interesting work that benefits and safeguards every Australian. That’s where you come in.
Your New Role
As a Software Support Engineer, you will provide technical support, troubleshoot technical issues and ensure continual operations of an integrated suite of complex, mission critical applications for the Department of Defence. You have experience with troubleshooting, diagnosing, testing and resolving customer issues, as well as high level analytical and problem-solving skills.
A day in this role will involve:
- Working from our client’s Melbourne office as a key member of our application support and systems administration service team;
- Providing systems administration, monitoring and Level 2 and Level 3 technical support;
- System monitoring and reporting, including ongoing process improvements to enhance operational availability and reliability;
- Completing incident ownership including triage, investigation, escalations and post incident follow up;
- Performing root-cause analysis of application related issues and recommend solutions, liaising with other ITSM service towers and end users as required;
- Installation/deployment of software updates, patches and fixes in line with procedures and processes, including change management; and
- Creating and maintaining system and operational documentation, including the creation and maintenance of Knowledge Based Articles for the Level 1 Help Desk;
About You and What You'll Bring
- 5+ years experience with complex application troubleshooting, diagnosing, testing and resolving customer issues
- High level analytical and problem-solving skills
- Knowledge of Change Management, Release and Incident Management processes within a large corporate production environment
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal
- Windows server and Linux administration skills
- Experience with scripting languages and task automation
- Hands-on experience in developing knowledge-based articles and operational documentation for software systems support
- Experience with application maintenance, including implementing patches and updates
- Basic database administration skills for common DB types such as MS SQL and Oracle
- Experience working with software development teams and understanding of the Software Development Life Cycle to support large scale enterprise software applications in production
- Experience with ticketing, knowledge management and ITSM products such as JIRA, HP ALM and Confluence
- Knowledge of IT infrastructure, network protocols and tools
- Knowledge of ITIL processes
Please note the successful candidate must be willing to undergo and maintain an Australian Government security clearance at NV2 level – Australian citizenship is a mandatory requirement.
What you’ll love
At Leidos you’ll enjoy 12 weeks’ paid parental leave as a primary carer, flexible work practices, discounted health insurance, novated leasing and more. Foster your career through complete access to learning and development and mentoring opportunities, we have a strong track record of internal promotion and career transitions.