- Melbourne VIC, Australia
- Job Type: Contract
Our name isn’t the only thing that’s unique about Leidos Australia. We’re a complex systems integration company building world-class solutions across government and defence that ensure peace of mind for the entire nation. Supported by global backing from our US network and employing over 32,000 people globally we’re trusted by our customers to deliver the most innovative answers to their most complex challenges. Seriously interesting work that benefits and safeguards every Australian. That’s where you come in.
Your New Role
As a Data Engineer, you will design, develop, build, install, test and evaluate data management and data analytics solutions.
This will include database modelling and design, relational and non-relational database architecture, metadata and repository creation and configuration management. Use data mapping, data transformation and data analysis tools to design and develop optimal data storage solutions and data interfaces between Data Science tools and other enterprise systems.
Primary duties and responsibilities include:
- Design and develop data solutions that utilise Big Data Analytics platforms to satisfy a variety of data analytics use cases.
Carry out data engineering and data analysis tasks requiring expertise with:
- database design, development and implementation,
- data storage and retrieval,
- data cleansing and blending,
- data visualisaitons and reporting.
- Deploy and support data solutions with a focus on performance and security.
- Assist in developing database structures that fit into the overall architecture of the system under development.
- Implement and maintain database lifecycle management processes, ensuring effective use of available resources.
- Comply with legislation and Company policies, processes and instructions, including those relating to non-discrimination, environment, safety, duty of care, and the quality management system.
- Display behaviours that reflect the Company values.
- Take reasonable care of your own health and safety, and that of others, follow any reasonable instruction given by the Company, and report any concern(s) which may give rise to danger, and/or any injury which may occur in the workplace.
About You and What You'll Bring
Coupled with your education and practical experience, you will demonstrate a pro-active approach with the ability to understand business needs and develop solutions to achieve project objectives.
- Substantial experience working in a similar role within an engineering or project environment,
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement solutions that satisfy complex needs for access to large structured, unstructured and semi-structured datasets,
- Proven experience in implementation of Data Analytics environments,
- Expert knowledge of and implementation experience with a broad range of technologies, including:
- Data storage and associated infrastructure,
- Data integration and processing, including REST API,
- Data Analytics/ Data Science architectures,
- Modern Data Analytics/ Data Science tools for data analysis, visualisation and reporting.
- Essential skills: hands-on proven commercial experience with
- SQL Server technologies,
- Programming in Python, Java
- Power BI technologies,
- Azure SQL,
- Highly desirable skills: familiarity with
- Elasticsearch/ Elastic Stack,
- Strong analytical skills working with both structured and unstructured data.
- Ability to work autonomously as well as contribute in a team and professional environment.
- Knowledge and application of technical principles, theories and concepts in the field of Data Engineering and Data Analytics.
- Strong focus on customer service and outcomes.
- Strong communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills.
- Proven ability to adapt and maintain a flexible approach to changing needs or priorities.
- Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to resolve complex technical issues.
- High level of initiative and self-motivation.
QualificationsAt least a Bachelors degree from an accredited institution in Computer Science, Information Technology, Mathematics or a related discipline.
What you’ll love
At Leidos you’ll enjoy 12 weeks’ paid parental leave as a primary carer, flexible work practices, discounted health insurance, novated leasing and more. Foster your career through complete access to learning and development and mentoring opportunities, we have a strong track record of internal promotion and career transitions.