- Melbourne VIC, Australia
- Job Type: Permanent
Our name isn’t the only thing that’s unique about Leidos Australia. We’re a complex systems integration company building world-class solutions across government and defence that ensure peace of mind for the entire nation. Supported by global backing from our US network and employing over 32,000 people globally we’re trusted by our customers to deliver the most innovative answers to their most complex challenges. Seriously interesting work that benefits and safeguards every Australian. That’s where you come in.
Your New Role
As a Data Engineer, you will design, develop, build, install, test and evaluate data management solutions that utilise Big Data & Analytics platforms to satisfy a variety of data analytics use cases. This will include development of relational and non-relational database architecture, database modelling and design, data curation, database performance management.
Primary duties and responsibilities include:
- Develop and maintain database design and implementation documentation.
- Prepare system requirements, source analysis and process analysis throughout the database implementation.
- Implement and maintain database lifecycle management processes, ensuring effective use of available resources.
About You and What You'll Bring
Coupled with your education and practical experience, you will demonstrate a pro-active approach with the ability to understand business needs and develop solutions to achieve company objectives.
- Substantial experience working in a similar role within an engineering or project environment,
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement solutions that satisfy complex analytical needs for access to large structured, unstructured and semi-structured datasets,
- Expert knowledge of and implementation experience with a broad range of technologies, including:
- Data storage and associated infrastructure,
- Data modelling and querying,
- Data integration & processing and associated infrastructure,
- Data security/ data access management,
- Metadata management and data cataloguing, and
- Data curation and data quality.
Essential technical skills: advanced hands-on practical knowledge of
- SQL technologies,
- Programming/ scripting in Python, Java,
- Data curation/ data quality management/ data preparation tools (such as Alteryx).
Desirable technical skills:
- Understanding of Elasticsearch/ ELK Stack and Solr,
- Understanding of Big Data concepts and technologies,
- Familiarity with Power BI or other Data Analytics technologies,
- Familiarity with a broad range of data technologies, such as Postgres, Azure,
- Strong analytical skills working with both structured and unstructured data,
- Knowledge and application of technical principles, theories and concepts in the field of Data Engineering,
- Strong ability to analyse and manipulate complex, high-volume data,
- Ability to work autonomously as well as contribute in a team and professional environment,
- Strong focus on customer service and outcomes,
- Strong communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills,
- Proven ability to adapt and maintain a flexible approach to changing needs or priorities,
- Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to resolve complex technical issues,
- High level of initiative and self-motivation.
QualificationsAt least a Bachelors degree from an accredited institution in Computer Science, Information Technology, Mathematics or a related discipline.
What you’ll love
At Leidos you’ll enjoy 12 weeks’ paid parental leave as a primary carer, flexible work practices, discounted health insurance, novated leasing and more. Foster your career through complete access to learning and development and mentoring opportunities, we have a strong track record of internal promotion and career transitions.